Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does this bike exist?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting bunch of criteria for your bike. Sounds like a fun project.

Disclaimer: I work in a local shop and I'm up to my elbows in this style of bike all day, every day.

A few things: Internal cable routing has a great aesthetic, but is often a pain when it comes to maintenance. A good bike shop can help with changing cables. Park tools makes a nice kit to make threading cables easier.

Threaded bottom brackets are my personal favorite. That comes from a guy who works 40-60 hours per week working on other people's bikes. Press fit bottom brackets were developed to solve problems with carbon frames (You can't thread into carbon and aluminum inserts are either heavy or fragile.) Press-fit bottom brackets on steel, ti or aluminum frames solve a problem that doesn't exist and cause problems that shouldn't exist. I attended a bike brand kick-off where the marketing wonk introduced the latest and greatest BB technology for non carbon frames.... it is the 68mm, English-threaded bottom bracket shell. WOOHOO! They've only been around for decades!

Tire clearance. The best and most capable studded tires for real winter riding with 700c wheels come in 35, 38 and 40mm sizes. If using serious studded tires is your goal, make sure you get a frame that can handle that size of tire with a little room so they don't pack up too much. It is easy to have a giant ice ball that engulfs your front derailleur and prevents shifting.

One thing that I didn't see you mention is geometry and ride quality. Before the advent of modern adventure/gravel bikes, we used cyclocross bikes for this kind of riding. Many folks still do with great success. CX bikes are really designed for CX racing... which is fast-paced and requires quite twitchy handling characteristics. Adventure/Gravel bikes are MUCH nicer to ride day in and day out. They usually have a little longer chainstay (5-10mm longer) to add a little stability, while keeping the front triangle steep to make it initiate turns nicely. They also often lower the bottom bracket a little. This lowers the center of gravity on the bike and adds a little stability without sacrificing agility and fun in the turns. Test ride a few! They're worth it! They come in many flavors and frame materials ranging from stable... almost light-touring bikes to ones that are closer to a road geometry, but with disc brakes and extra tire clearance.

A few ideas:
    Kona Rove (comes in aluminum, steel or titanium) and price ranges from $850-$5000
    Jamis Renegade (available in aluminum, steel or carbon) and price ranges from $800-4300
    Raleigh Willard, Tamland or Roker (aluminum, steel and carbon respectively) ranging in prices from $1300-$5000
    Volagi Viaje (steel or ti) ranging in prices from $1800-$5000+
    Surly Straggler (steel) at around $1800 or as a frameset to build as you like
    Salsa Warbird (Aluminum or Carbon) with prices from $1600-4300
    Salsa Vaya (steel or ti) -- Originally designed as a light touring bike, but it makes a LOVELY all-rounder. Prices from $1500-$5000

Specialized makes the Diverge. Cannondale makes the Slate. I'm sure Trek, Giant and other big manufacturers make similar bikes.

These bikes, though designed for gravel roads and a little rougher riding make WONDERFUL bikes for every day use because they combine agility and a fun ride, with stability and comfort that makes the great for distance riding. Take a test ride!!!! These bikes all have their own character and feel to them.

Enjoy the discovery process with whatever bike you choose. Spend some time riding them. It is great to have such wonderful weather in which to test stuff out!

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Specialized makes the Diverge. Cannondale makes the Slate. I'm sure Trek, Giant and other big manufacturers make similar bikes.
    I think the Trek Crossrip is their closest example to your criteria, though I found it a little too twitchy for my tastes.

Giant's Anyroad or Revolt may be an option for you, but I don't think the Anyroad offers internal cable routing. The Revolt sort of has it, but that's due to the detachable mud guard on the down tube. Its two pieces, I took the 'mud flap' part off and left the cover over the cables on. I really like mine, but usually the biggest knock I hear or read about the Revolt is its looks.

Have you looked at Specialized's AWOL? I think it'd meet most of your requirements, but I don't think anyone would ever call it esthetically pleasing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    Have you looked at Specialized's AWOL? I think it'd meet most of your requirements, but I don't think anyone would ever call it esthetically pleasing.
    Looks fine to me. People who think that bikes shouldn't have changed since the mid 1950's presumably hate it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    A few ideas:
    Kona Rove (comes in aluminum, steel or titanium) and price ranges from $850-$5000
    Jamis Renegade (available in aluminum, steel or carbon) and price ranges from $800-4300
    Raleigh Willard, Tamland or Roker (aluminum, steel and carbon respectively) ranging in prices from $1300-$5000
    Volagi Viaje (steel or ti) ranging in prices from $1800-$5000+
    Surly Straggler (steel) at around $1800 or as a frameset to build as you like
    Salsa Warbird (Aluminum or Carbon) with prices from $1600-4300
    Salsa Vaya (steel or ti) -- Originally designed as a light touring bike, but it makes a LOVELY all-rounder. Prices from $1500-$5000
    I have the carbon Salsa Warbird and will imminently have the steel Rove if you'd like to see either bike in person. I can't say enough about the Warbird - internal routing, disc brakes and clearance for up to 42. Plus it's just fun to ride and makes me want to go fast.
    Last edited by Tania; 12-23-2015 at 08:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Looks fine to me. People who think that bikes shouldn't have changed since the mid 1950's presumably hate it?
    It looks fine to me as well, but it's like comparing a Ford Taurus to a Ford Mustang. Both are cars and both will fulfill their primary function of getting you from point A to point B. However the Mustang's much more pleasing to the eye and provide a more 'fun' drivers experience whereas the Taurus will carry more and do it with greater efficiency.

That and it doesn't meet his internally run cable requirement which by his own volition is purely for ascetics.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Bah... Top tubes are supposed to be horizontal.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Specialized Diverge: Carbon, disc brakes, internal routing (but I also have Di2), clearance for 35c ties (32c with fenders). I love it! It has Roubaix geometry so it's similar to what your looking at now.

Occasionally Arlington, VA. But mainly in Lima, Peru.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Jamis Renegade (one of the options mentioned by Dirt in his hugely informative post) and love it.

It does not fit your criteria completely in that the bottom bracket is an EVO PressFit 30, not the best of choices but I was so enamored with the bike that I decided to go with it anyway.

Cannot say enough good things about the bike, which I daily commute on and have also ridden centuries on (trying desperately not to get dropped by Boomer, but that is a different story that has more to do with my excess fat and low horsepower legs than the bike).

I even like the Shimano Ultegra group (love the hydro brakeset). And that is coming from a Campagnolo guy (although I am secretly overjoyed with the announcement of a new Campagnolo full groupset with hydro discs...).

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.mangobikes.co.uk/bikes/po...r-shimano-1058

It was perfect... then it said square taper. I am so far down the frame rabbit hole.

The bike will be found!

...... and i watch a youtube video on changing out square taper and converting to hollowtech.... as always, I will leave my ignorance open for all.... possibilities!
    Last edited by dplasters; 12-29-2015 at 02:26 PM.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking across the pond, Mason cycles may be a good match for your criteria. https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/frames