Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this bike exist?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does this bike exist?

I've been messing around with the idea of getting one of these fandangled multi-geared chain powered bikes. I want something that I can learn to maintain and do all the work myself over time though. Based on retrogrouch things I read and my own obsession with clean lines, I end up with the following criteria:
    • Internal Cable Routing (me)
    • Space for 32-35mm tires (smallest studded tires they make I believe?) (BAFS has a hold on me)
    • BSA/ISO threaded bb (retrogrouch/buying a bunch of tools for the pressing process looks annoying)
    • I'm indifferent to frame material (although lighter is nicer in my view)

So far my only option is Specialized. Which was surprising....

Anyone have other ideas? Or a magic way to get Canyon bikes into the USA?

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dplasters View Post
    I've been messing around with the idea of getting one of these fandangled multi-geared chain powered bikes. I want something that I can learn to maintain and do all the work myself over time though. Based on retrogrouch things I read and my own obsession with clean lines, I end up with the following criteria:
    • Internal Cable Routing (me)
    • Space for 32-35mm tires (smallest studded tires they make I believe?) (BAFS has a hold on me)
    • BSA/ISO threaded bb (retrogrouch/buying a bunch of tools for the pressing process looks annoying)
    • I'm indifferent to frame material (although lighter is nicer in my view)

So far my only option is Specialized. Which was surprising....

Anyone have other ideas? Or a magic way to get Canyon bikes into the USA?
    Are you sure you can get a 32c tire on a Roubaix?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, your insistence on internal cable routing eliminates almost everything in the wide tire/useful frame category. (If you want it, you want it, but it is kinda counter to the "make it simple and maintainable" philosophy. The fact that it exists at all is a testament to the fact that there's a bike for everyone. )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    Bigger question: can you get a 32c tire and packed snow on a Roubaix?

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I max out around a 28c tire on my roubaix, and there's no way I'd take that plastic bike out on trails where I might need studs. That's what the 13yr old Cannondale MTB with 26x1.5 is for

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Yes, your insistence on internal cable routing eliminates almost everything in the wide tire/useful frame category. (If you want it, you want it, but it is kinda counter to the "make it simple and maintainable" philosophy. The fact that it exists at all is a testament to the fact that there's a bike for everyone. )
    I would advise you to stay away from internal cable routing. It is annoying and offers no better weather resistance than running full cable housing. There are many real good reasons to run full housing. The weather resistance, reduced cable friction, and lower housing/end system compression are so wonderful . The few minor negatives are: the weight (few grams), how unfashionable it is, how ugly zip ties holding the housing can be, NS empty normal cable stops can be sharp when not filled with cables.

That being said, I then recommend something like a Surly Straggler. Disc brakes, can handle 35 knobbies, no expensive, not wimpy.
    Last edited by Raymo853; 12-23-2015 at 06:00 AM.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get what you want in Chinese carbon -- and probably thru-axle to boot. Probably ~$600 for the frameset? For example: http://www.miraclebikes.com/products...ycloc25052933/

Name:  FM28614.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  10.3 KB

Maybe one of the steel Cielo frames also fits the requirements.

Edit: nevermind, Cielo use a PF30.

Though I agree that internal routing is not a simplifying feature. I am not looking forward to when I have to change the housing on my road bike. I would suggest changing the requirement to having stops/guides that support full-housing runs -- /that/ does simplify things and improve weatherability. Internal does look clean, though, and less gunk buildup under the downtube.

Personally, I would get the (titanium) Foundry Overland if I were looking for a new do-everything bike. The $2500 frameset isn't cheap, though not crazy by ti standards. Am happy with my much-cheaper Habanero, but I had to dremel out my cable stops to run full-length housing and it doesn't have a 44mm (or tapered) HT, so no tapered forks for me (almost all carbon disc brake forks are tapered).

Disc brake of course.
    Last edited by hozn; 12-15-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    the internet tells me yes on disc brake. no on rim brakes. thus the disc brake model in the link. i'm a bit meh about the disc brakes other than they offer more clearance. i'll take it.

as I said, it is shocking to me that the only bike i found so far is indeed made of the crabon. it was not what i went searching for. just what ended up meeting the other requirements. I had expected to find an alloy frame that met the list. And I did... But I can only get it as close as Mexico.. stupid Canyon.

the internal routing is because of my insane obsession for ascetics. i am aware that there is no technical reason for it. I am pleased by the fact that most if not all reviews of modern Specialized cable routing has them doing a very 'good' job in that it has guides in their runs and that it makes it less of a PITA. Something I am concerned about. My current bike has one internally routed cable and it is done nicely and has been a non issue in doing work on.

Foundry looks nice, but also out of the budget.

Chinese Carbon is an option. I worry about getting a frame that has all that cable routing loveliness. I don't know that I want to get that deep into it all. I was honestly very close to just going with the Nashbar Cr5 but for the bb30. It is so lovely and not covered in print/ads/crap.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dplasters View Post
    Chinese Carbon is an option. I worry about getting a frame that has all that cable routing loveliness. I don't know that I want to get that deep into it all. I was honestly very close to just going with the Nashbar Cr5 but for the bb30. It is so lovely and not covered in print/ads/crap.
    FWIW, I know that @GB's [chinese] carbon frame (ICAN?) did come with [permanent] tubes in the frame to make feeding the cables/housing through very easy. (I'm actually not sure if his frame has stops or if it is full housing in the frame for shifter cables; that is also something to consider -- not all are the same in that regard; my road bike has stops for the shifters but of course full housing for the brake hoses/cables.) My previous road frame was internal for shifters but external for the brake; new frame is internal everything, which does definitely look nicer. As long as you keep the guide lines that come with the frame replacing housing or cables should be doable. Worst case, you pull out the BB to help feed stuff back through. Or just hold out for SRAM eTap and two of your problems go away

I've been really happy with Hongfu/Flybike frames and wouldn't hesitate to buy a CX frame. (AFAIK Miracle Bike linked above is another trade company that sells Flybike frames, though not all the trade companies stock the same frames so not exactly clear who designs what, etc.)

I don't know which open mold frameset Nashbar uses, but I assume it's one you could definitely find cheaper if you dealt direct w/ a Chinese trade co or factory. That said, warranty/support is a big reason that dealing with Nashbar might be nicer.

Post Thanks / Like

Ridley also makes an option that is now in the running.