Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remembering my old 3-speed got me thinking...

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an update on an old thread...

I have been working with Jan at Bikenetic to figure out an IGH wheel for my belt-drive fixie. I've figured out that I can use a Sturmey 5-speed hub with my existing drivetrain components (same "chain"ring [beltring?] and same length belt), add a rear disc brake and a bar-end shifter, and if the chain line is the same (which is not unlikely) maybe even be able to slap the FG wheel right back in there at a moment's notice. Still working out the final details of gearing (24- or 26-tooth cog?), but I expect that this will convert the bike into something I can finally use, even while my knees continue to recover (slowly but surely!). I'll update again when things start to come together.

Post Thanks / Like

Another update...
    Well, apparently Sturmey's 5-speed hub doesn't play nice with Gates Carbon Drive. I don't think I'll get the gearing range I'm looking for in a 3-speed, so I'm considering a Shimano Alfine 8. Pros: massive gearing range and reasonable steps between gears. Cons: not as simple as a 5-speed and will likely make the bike function an awful lot like my non-belt-drive bike. Still, I'm going for workable right now, and it will be great to have two usable bikes again—and a belt drive IGH bike will be fabulous in bad weather.

As always, Jan has been super helpful, encouraging, and knowledgeable.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Alfine 11 Di2 [hydro]? :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Alfine 11 Di2 [hydro]? :-)
    Yeah, I saw that and thought it would be overkill, considering I was already slightly disappointed at having to move up from 5- to 8-speed.

Post Thanks / Like

My Wolverine rebuild is now done!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1301.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	12714

The conversion from fixed to IGH required a lot of new parts...the only common components in the drivetrain are the bottom bracket and crank arms. The rear hub is an Alfine 8-speed controlled by a Jtek bar-end shifter. I also added a rear Spyre brake, since the FG build didn't have one. It's a pretty sweet ride, and super quiet and smooth. I have mud flaps for it, but I'm in no hurry to add them as the belt drive doesn't care about road grime. The bottom bracket shell is already pretty dirty, though, so I'll add the flaps someday when I have forgotten that it took me four hours to get the fenders right. Also, if anyone knows of nice, cheap, chrome bottle cages, I'd like to know about it!

If I ever feel my knees are back to 100% again, I'll swap out the rear wheel, belt, and ring, and see how it goes fixed. (I'll have to restrain the shift cable somehow.)

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    My Wolverine rebuild is now done!

If I ever feel my knees are back to 100% again, I'll just buy a new fixed gear
    Fixed that for you (pun unavoidable).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Fixed that for you (pun unavoidable).
    I'm already looking into what new frameset I might put a complete set of FG components onto, since I have another fixie that I built up that ended up being too small for me. That would be a road/track frameset instead of a beefy frameset like the Wolverine. Don't tell Rockford.

Post Thanks / Like

Time to resurrect this old thread: I built up a 3-speed wheel yesterday, and put it on a SS frameset with a seatpost shifter. We’ll see if it makes for a decent commuter next week!

Name:	84501035-C3A9-4668-8019-433DC160C7AB.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	18113

Name:	DE6B35D1-E743-4127-AFCB-112B79760358.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	18114

Name:	4BBBA62A-3238-4A71-9823-216F4805466D.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	18115
    This is the second wheel I’ve built. It only took about half as long as the first one, so I must be doing something right.

9. Likes ShawnoftheDread, drevil, Steve O liked this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Why the seatpost mount? For feeling like an outlaw biker with suicide shift?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    Why the seatpost mount? For feeling like an outlaw biker with suicide shift?
    Without any cable bosses on the frame, it seemed a fun way to handle it without too much fuss (and using only the supplied parts). Besides, as long as I’m building a 3-speed road bike, I might as well go full quirky.

12. Likes hozn, Steve O liked this post