Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remembering my old 3-speed got me thinking...

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post

As an aside: for or my own part, I have been ssslllooowwwlllyyy recovering from sore knees, and I have a brand new, belt drive fixie that is languishing in my basement (anything more than a mile or two on that bike just kills me, sadly).
    Did this start once you started riding fixed or is it new? Is it maybe related to the cold?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Did this start once you started riding fixed or is it new? Is it maybe related to the cold?
    I'm not sure what it's related to, but it has been going on for a few months now. It did start after I started riding fixed, but months after. This summer I essentially stopped riding, in part to see if laying off the cycling would improve my condition, but also so I could spend every waking moment finishing my dissertation. My knees did not improve at all over weeks of being off the bike, so I'm not convinced the issue is specifically cycling-related (the dissertation got done, though, so there's that). I did some PT and have a stretching regimen that I do every day, and that has helped. I'm slowly increasing my cycling mileage, and I'm not getting worse; also, I'm not taking pain meds constantly, only when I have pain. So the issue is improving. But slowly. Exertion does seem to aggravate my knees, so I don't really seem up to riding fixed yet or doing more than ten miles at a time, and I require more rest days than before. I'm probably going to be on a slacker team for BAFS.

Thanks for asking.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what it's related to, but it has been going on for a few months now. It did start after I started riding fixed, but months after. This summer I essentially stopped riding, in part to see if laying off the cycling would improve my condition, but also so I could spend every waking moment finishing my dissertation. My knees did not improve at all over weeks of being off the bike, so I'm not convinced the issue is specifically cycling-related (the dissertation got done, though, so there's that). I did some PT and have a stretching regimen that I do every day, and that has helped. I'm slowly increasing my cycling mileage, and I'm not getting worse; also, I'm not taking pain meds constantly, only when I have pain. So the issue is improving. But slowly. Exertion does seem to aggravate my knees, so I don't really seem up to riding fixed yet or doing more than ten miles at a time, and I require more rest days than before. I'm probably going to be on a slacker team for BAFS.

Thanks for asking.
    Sorry to hear that. I have knee pain sometimes if I try to use my legs as brakes instead of brake pads. But generally my bad knees (which pre-date my 'serious' cycling habits) do better when I ride regularly. They definitely don't like cold though.

I've sometimes thought that the ultimate solution for a "I'm not 100% right now" bike would an e-assist bike/trike. I seem to have forced downtime often enough to almost justify one, I think! And it could double as a cargo bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    I've sometimes thought that the ultimate solution for a "I'm not 100% right now" bike would an e-assist bike/trike. I seem to have forced downtime often enough to almost justify one, I think! And it could double as a cargo bike.
    or an ELF

sorry about your knee

Post Thanks / Like

<old fart voice on > Bum knees and SS/fixie = incompatible. <OFV off>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    <old fart voice on > Bum knees and SS/fixie = incompatible. <OFV off>
    Hence the 3-speed idea. Otherwise I have a brand new bike gathering dust.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I may have missed this, but are you not able to put a derailleur in your SS frame? Or is this 120mm spacing? If either of those are true then I can see the appeal of 3sp.

Hope your knees heal!

Edit: no this is a disc-brake so must be 135mm? If you can run a RD just do 1x10 and call it a day?

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Belt drive. I'd just build up a new wheel with the biggest IGH you foresee that you want for maximum flexibility.

I find my knee issues to be more weather-related than cycling. They ache when I start riding, but the oain goes away when I don't think about them. Just like they hurt when I stand up. This doesn't mean I'm going to stop standing.

A couple of Bloody Marys before going to work can't hurt as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Erg, sorry about your knees, dkel. Lingering injuries are dispiriting.
    A few reactions:
    --Are you totally convinced of the wisdom of your PT guidance? Long ago when I was badly hurt for over a year, it took eight different doctors before I found one who could fix me. She had me pain-free in a week and racing again in a month.
    --You say youíre stretching religiously, as in ďevery day.Ē Are you sure this is what your injury needs? A number of conditions are aggravated by stretching. They improve only with specific strength building exercises that get at the imbalances and fortify the muscles around the knee. I donít know the specifics of your situation, obviously.
    --One of my favorite books on sports injuries is Listen to Your Pain: The Active Personís Guide to Understanding, Identifying, and Treating Pain and Injury, by Ben E. Benjamin.
    http://www.amazon.com/Listen-Your-Pa.../dp/0143111957
    --One of the innumerable advantages of riding on your pedals (standing) is itís really gentle on your knees. Worth a try?
    Hang in there. w&w

Post Thanks / Like

Hence the 3-speed idea. Otherwise I have a brand new bike gathering dust.
    If you have the option it might be worth it to see if the knees heal up riding a fully geared bike for a while. Resume with the SS/fixie when the legs are 100% and see if they stay that way. Access to pedaling dynamics that are fine tuned to the best range of cadence and power is no small thing. In Fla perhaps not but around here it almost always some degree of up or down.