Likes Likes:  46
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice needed: Should I switch from 2X10 to 1X11 on a touring bike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Just interjecting some Vaya solidarity, bluerider. Mine has an Ultegra triple, which was stock for the 2014 Vaya Travel. Occasionally I've wished for a granny gear, when we're loaded down for touring and climbing some unexpected hill, and I've not had chain drop issues at all. I haven't really thought to change anything.

Adventure Cycling had a good article which might provide some info: The Drivetrain Dilemma.

Sorry I'm not much help with your question about the 1x10 setup. It's an intriguing idea, and I'll be curious what you decide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VayaTravel.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	10111
    Thanks for that article. That is some of the best information I have been looking for in terms of 1x for touring and gearing. By the way, I think I have seen you out on the WO&D on your Vaya. The gear inches Co-Motion tries to achieve is helpful. Oddly enough, what they recommend (42/28 crank) and 12-36 cassette is what I am using now.

I am glad the triple works for you. I didn't want to triple simply because the gearing doesn't really work for this bike but evidently works for you.

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

An update: I have jumped in and started ordering parts for a 1x11 setup. I plan to reuse my crank and convert it with a Wolf Tooth ring. I also got a great deal on a set of SRAM Force1 shifters and couldn't resist. Need to order an XD driver for my White Industries hub and choose a front ratio for the chainring. I am pretty excited.

Thanks for everyones help

Post Thanks / Like

I am just converting my old IF Club Racer from road to touring duties. I am going a bit nuts on analyzing gear ranges. Now unlike many in this thread, this will be just a touring and gravel duties. I have a dedicated single ring CX and commuting bikes, both running 38t with 11-32 cogs.

I have found my other road bike, with a 34 chainring and a biggests cog of 27, not low enough. That gear is 35.5" or 10.6 MPH at 100 RPM. I want something lower for the touring bike, about 28" or 8.5 MPH @ 100. Now a single 38 ring with a rear 36 would be close 29.8" or 89 MPH. And the top end will be a little too low 97.4" or 29.0 MPH. I also fear the big gaps, it sometimes annoys me on the CX bike and keeps me from shifting enough on the commuter bike.

My spreadsheet and market analysis is leading to the idea of a 11-32 cassette with a 44/32 chainring setup. To get that setup, I am planning to buy a XT or XTR triple crankset. Why? They are freaking dirt cheap since nobody can stand the fashion shame of using triples anymore. I plan to remove the inner ring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    And the top end will be a little too low 97.4" or 29.0 MPH
    You will never need to pedal more than 29 MPH on a touring bike. Did you mean too high?

Post Thanks / Like

I am going a bit nuts on analyzing gear ranges.
    I don't see how that's possible! I love my gear inch spreadsheet! I have a cell for tire size, and it recalculates the whole sheet when I change the number. Sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    You will never need to pedal more than 29 MPH on a touring bike. Did you mean too high?
    Well, he did say a 28" low was low enough. Personally I want at a low gear under 21" for a touring bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    That is at 100 rpm, a spin I rarely can handle these days. If I am on a long grade it is nice to have a gear of at least 100 inches to allow slow, say 60 RPM 97"at 80 RPM is only 23 mph.

I may have mixed some with my terms, but I love gear inches. I know it is a weird thing, but it helps me understand the range. What I am looking for is a range from 25 inch to 110 inch range for the touring bike. So that is between 6 and 26 mph at 80 RPM. It really seems only a 44/32 with a 11-36 can do that or a 44/32/24 with a 11-27.
    Last edited by Raymo853; 11-29-2015 at 05:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I don't see how that's possible! I love my gear inch spreadsheet! I have a cell for tire size, and it recalculates the whole sheet when I change the number. Sweet!
    I have one too. I can share it later if anyone wants it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	excel.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	10156

Post Thanks / Like

If I am on a long grade it is nice to have a gear of at least 100 inches to allow slow, say 60 RPM 97"at 80 RPM is only 23 mph
    What I do on long downhill grades when touring is coast and enjoy the breeze; braking is usually the bigger concern given the weight. You certainly need to build a bike for you, but in my experience it's much more common to wish for a lower granny on an uphill than regret not being able to spin out a little later on a downhill.

Post Thanks / Like

I settled on the SRAM 10-42 cassette. At this point, I am deciding on the front chain ring ratio. At the moment, I am leaning towards a 34 tooth ring. This nearly matches my current range but with a little less top end. If I plan on taking a heavier loaded long tour especially in hilly terrain I can always just switch to a 32 tooth ring to move toward the low end. At 80 RPM, I will be moving at 22 MPH and give me 22.0 gear inches in low. I think that is enough for this bike. The 32 ring would change it to 20.7 gear inches.

I also got a red hot smoking deal on a set of SRAM Force1 shifters so I will be moving away from my Paul mounted barcons. This will be a mashup of SRAM road shifters with mountain parts. Thanks SRAM for allowing these parts to play nice.
    Last edited by bluerider; 11-29-2015 at 10:06 PM.