Likes Likes:  46
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed: Should I switch from 2X10 to 1X11 on a touring bike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    "Orange" is way too general for these folks, the question is WHICH orange? Emm, they did just add a new pink. Alas.... mine will be neither of those.
    Glitter is nice. Looks great on my purple Straggler...hmm...I haven’t ridden that bike in a while, now that I think of it.

2. Likes ginacico, Judd, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a big fan of internal gear hubs with belt drives. The biggest deterrent for drop bar users is that Rohloff hub comes with twist shifters, but according to the article below, there is an after market part that allows Rohloff hub to be used with drop bar shifters and any other shifters. The catch is that you won't be able to use all 14 speeds, just the same number as the shifter supports, and you wouldn't need Ultegra when 105 has the same speeds.

https://www.cyclingabout.com/gebla-r...-rohloff-hubs/

Here is the part that they talk about:

http://rohbox.com/

And where to buy it in the US($253):

https://www.cyclemonkey.com/gebla

4. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I test-rode a road bike with internal transmission (Pinion or Rohloff? I forgot which one...) at Bikenetic a couple of years ago. Loved the utter simplicity of a single shifter for the entire range. This drop-bar bike had a twist shifter on the bar end, but one adapted from a flat bar setup. As such, it had rather pointy edges transitioning to the bar. Were it mine, I would've taken a file to it. I will trust that someone has resolved that complaint by now.

Post Thanks / Like

alternatively, consider trekking bars (which can use flat bar shifters) but still offer a lot of hand positions.

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Your Wolverine is Exhibit A that orange is the best color for a bike.
    Yes. Just cleaned it today (for the first time ever, believe it or not).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A581CC1A-20BD-4BBF-8199-C2F224DB1299.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	18547

9. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post

Thatís a good looking bike.

11. Likes dkel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post

Hey look, another orange Soma! Nice!

Name:	20180117_152846.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	18548

13. Likes Judd liked this post
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Bah... The only thing an orange bike is good for is deer hunting.

15. Likes Judd liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Ding ding! I think this is precisely the answer I was hoping for. It's the equivalent of what I did with the 10-spd triple, but compatible with new 11-spd Ultegra. I very much appreciate you honing in on specifics and providing all the background resources too, good stuff n18!

It remains to be seen whether CoMo will swap out parts, or whether I get the stock package and do it myself later.
    I probably missed this from earlier in the thread, but I believe you will need a TanPan (or equivalent from jTech) to allow 11sp road shifters to work with the mtb rear derailleur. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...roducts/tanpan

If you do end up having to source these parts yourself, lemme know; I believe I have both of those (a TanPan + an M8000), used, in a box from when I was considering implementing a Shimano 1x setup.

I agree with your arguments against 1x. I wouldn't change it on my 'cross or gravel bike, but I can imagine that for touring having really fine-grained gear selection would be valuable.

I use a 10-42t cassette with a 44t chain ring. That's a great gravel setup, but doesn't have the range you're looking for. The only thing I'd say is that the (1-piece) XG cassettes (for XD driver) are very nice when it comes to swapping a cassette between wheels. I do that enough, that I'll pay the premium for XD cassettes (but I buy XG-1175 take-off cassettes on ebay, so there isn't much of a premium). But the Shimano 11-40 XTR cassette I have on my road bike shifts much smoother than the SRAM XG cassettes.

17. Likes ginacico liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I probably missed this from earlier in the thread, but I believe you will need a TanPan (or equivalent from jTech) to allow 11sp road shifters to work with the mtb rear derailleur. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...roducts/tanpan

If you do end up having to source these parts yourself, lemme know
    Very interesting. Still waiting to see what Co-Motion comes up with, but I'll keep this offer in mind - thanks Hozn!

As of today the Vaya is still sitting sad and forlorn in my basement. Peter wants to send the cracked frame off to Bilenky, who said they could assess and possibly fix it (replace the downtube and realign the rest). If it happens, I'd eventually be in the market for a drive train, wheels, and other things. I'm not hopeful about that project but who knows really, I just haven't had the heart to take it apart yet and see what's salvageable.

19. Likes hozn liked this post