Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: King+Beauregard project

  1. #21
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Will wonders never cease?

    The rise of ground and the staircase in front of the health dept building, which was said to be out of scope, is now completely torn up. I assume for utility relocation? But it would appear that there is now no reason NOT to extend the MUT south of 28th Street (except perhaps the need to narrow in front of the dry cleaners). Though I have not heard anything about whether or not that is now the plan.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah I noticed that too. It'd be a travesty if they didn't take advantage of the opportunity to extend the sidepath along there, which would provide connections to the bike lane on northbound Hampton, or onto the wide sidewalk further east along King.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    747
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Has anyone talked to Ray about this yet?

  4. #24
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The block north of 28th and south of the new building, where the MUP is supposed to go, appears to have had some kind of turf put in to cover the new utilities. Evidently they don't plan to open the MUP section till a later phase, presumably after the newe building is built the MUP is open all the way to Beauregard.

  5. #25
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Will wonders never cease?

    The rise of ground and the staircase in front of the health dept building, which was said to be out of scope, is now completely torn up. I assume for utility relocation? But it would appear that there is now no reason NOT to extend the MUT south of 28th Street (except perhaps the need to narrow in front of the dry cleaners). Though I have not heard anything about whether or not that is now the plan.
    There appears to be a retaining wall under construction in front of the health dept building. It looks to me like the way is being prepared to extend the MUP south of 28th as part of this project. However its not clear to me how the MUP (if that is indeed what will go there) would interact with the parking lot in front of Dutch Cleaners.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was wondering that too...will the new right-of-way (for either road or MUP at this point) eat into the dry cleaners parking lot? Seems like an odd abrupt end, as opposed to widening it all the way to Hampton, where there is the automobile slip lane and bike lane.

    It looks like the "6 ft sidewalk" will indeed cut across the front of the parking lot and go all the way to Hampton.

    https://www.alexandriava.gov/uploade...(3.3%20MB).pdf
    Last edited by Fairlington124; 10-12-2017 at 12:49 PM.

  7. #27
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairlington124 View Post
    I was wondering that too...will the new right-of-way (for either road or MUP at this point) eat into the dry cleaners parking lot? Seems like an odd abrupt end, as opposed to widening it all the way to Hampton, where there is the automobile slip lane and bike lane.

    It looks like the "6 ft sidewalk" will indeed cut across the front of the parking lot and go all the way to Hampton.

    https://www.alexandriava.gov/uploade...(3.3%20MB).pdf

    Good catch. But a 6ft sidewalk, instead of a 10 ft MUT. Though I think that is still wider than the existing sidewalk. The area adjacent to the new retaining wall by the health dept building looks wider than that to me, but perhaps I am misjudging.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Google Earth measurement ~3.0 feet

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Arlington VA
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs down Our Neighborhood is Fed Up

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Congrats, I'm pretty sure your Fairlington character was perennial Arlington [commenter] [name redacted at individual's request]. He pontificates at every Arlington County Board meeting as well as various other meetings.

    Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    We sent a representative from our neighborhood (around Abingdon School) and our attorney because we were and are fed up with lack of traffic ordinance enforcement related to speed limits and stop signs, the reckless behavior by bicyclists in our neighborhood, the lack of open space and activity space in the site plans approved for King and Beauregard, and the traffic that will be generated by the King and Beauregard redevelopment.

    It's appalling that a blog sponsored by Arlington County would contain so much hate speech directed against so many - ranging from the police to motorists.

  10. #30
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDFairlington View Post
    We sent a representative from our neighborhood (around Abingdon School) and our attorney because we were and are fed up with lack of traffic ordinance enforcement related to speed limits and stop signs, the reckless behavior by bicyclists in our neighborhood, the lack of open space and activity space in the site plans approved for King and Beauregard, and the traffic that will be generated by the King and Beauregard redevelopment.

    It's appalling that a blog sponsored by Arlington County would contain so much hate speech directed against so many - ranging from the police to motorists.

    lack of traffic ordinance enforcement related to speed limits and stop signs, the reckless behavior by bicyclists in our neighborhood,

    Those if they are even true (I ride and walk in Fairlington regularly, and I ride safely, and I never see reckless behavior by cyclists there) are NOT concerns of the Alexandria planning department. At all. Raising them there was rude and a waste of everyone's time. That rudeness said more about the individual who disrupted (indeed trolled) the meeting, than anything we can say here.

    As for open space and traffic wrt to Alexandria Gateway, ultimately those are decisions for the City of Alexandria. The meeting was held to inform the community about project schedule and details (and as such of course was open to Arlington residents) It was NOT a review of the project itself, which was approved years ago.

    If you do not approve of the smart growth paradigm that Alexandria is implementing, you will need to move to Alexandria to have a voice in changing it.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 03-29-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •