Likes Likes:  413
Dislikes Dislikes:  10
ELITE ELITE:  47
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: ELF pedal electric car on W&OD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    Why not just lose some weight or get more fitness if you want to commute at 20+ mph?
    You've got to be kidding! I'm bicycling 25 miles a day, and have lost about 40 lbs., and I'm lucky if I can manage 10 mph. (And my speed has not really improved as my fitness has; I've just become able to go the same speed for longer.)

My bike is built for sturdiness, ability to carry things, and ability to handle ice and snow, not speed. I'm 63 years old. And I've always had a lot of endurance, but no speed. (Genetic testing says I have almost no fast twitch muscle fibers.)

Getting up to 20 mph is just not an attainable goal for some of us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    You've got to be kidding! I'm bicycling 25 miles a day, and have lost about 40 lbs., and I'm lucky if I can manage 10 mph. (And my speed has not really improved as my fitness has; I've just become able to go the same speed for longer.)

My bike is built for sturdiness, ability to carry things, and ability to handle ice and snow, not speed. I'm 63 years old. And I've always had a lot of endurance, but no speed. (Genetic testing says I have almost no fast twitch muscle fibers.)

Maybe look into some of Joel Friel's stuff if you're serious about it: https://www.velopress.com/books/fast-after-50/#toc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Maybe look into some of Joel Friel's stuff if you're serious about it: https://www.velopress.com/books/fast-after-50/#toc
    I don't think a training program is going to help. Starting in elementary school, I was picked last for every sports team, ever. This was particularly embarrassing because the guy picked just ahead of me had never quite recovered from polio.

As mentioned above, there are genetic issues plus a slow bike. And as optimistic as this guy wants to be about fitness over 50, there are inherent limitations. After all, you don't see people in pro sports, who get the best training possible, still doing it at my age.

Post Thanks / Like

I was merely responding to the claim that the ELF driver had modified his questionable vehicle in order to go beyond 20 mph. I'm pretty sure ELFs have pedals. Ergo, if you want to go faster in an ELF that's unmodified (and still questionably legal per NVRPA), there are other ways to do so. Like pedaling harder. Or losing 15lbs. It's simple physics; watts/kg.

@cvcalhoun - you're amazing! seriously, good work. keep pedaling. you're an inspiration for all of us. no insult intended!

Post Thanks / Like

While Solar Bike Car is correct, some laws do make it seem like it is OK for him to be on the WOD, others do not. Do not ever expect logic, consistencey or lack of contradictions in the law.

Regardless, I FEEL using an ELF on the WOD, Mt Vernon or C&O trail is just wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think a training program is going to help. Starting in elementary school, I was picked last for every sports team, ever. This was particularly embarrassing because the guy picked just ahead of me had never quite recovered from polio.

As mentioned above, there are genetic issues plus a slow bike. And as optimistic as this guy wants to be about fitness over 50, there are inherent limitations. After all, you don't see people in pro sports, who get the best training possible, still doing it at my age.
    If you ever need motivation, just remember that any size pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    If you ever need motivation, just remember that any size pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Pizza.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	12806

Life Goals...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Pizza.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	12806

Life Goals...
    They need a life-size one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Pizza-Cutter-.../dp/B00JE926PU

It would be awesome to ride across, just don't fall over!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update: I achieved my personal goal.

In 24 months I've logged in excess of 10,000 miles by commuting 30 miles each day 3.5 days a week from Sterling to Tysons in an ELF. Fortunately I met my goal without injury or incident and consuming roughly the same amount of time as commuting by car in rush hour traffic.

Twice I've crossed the river and each time it was a metric century effort. (Yes the ELF fits through the Memorial Bridge tunnel!)

This experiment worked so well I plan to continue to combine exercise with commuting.

Fair warning: I'm building my own pedaling contraption which when it debuts on the W&OD is sure to horrify some and amuse others because it won't look like a bicycle or a car (or a pizza cutter).

Post Thanks / Like