Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Automated Counters - Alexandria

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    Bids were due back to city on October 21. I wouldn't expect construction to start anytime soon.

Actually this sounds like good news to me. I was not really expecting shovels in the ground in the next two months, and this at least shows the project is moving forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Four of the new bike counters.

Holmes Run Trail
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	10133

Eisenhower Avenue Trail

Views:	114 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	10134

Four Mile Run Trail (Alexandria side)

Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	10135

Potomac Yard Trail

Views:	112 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	10136

Post Thanks / Like

The remaining counters have been installed.

Mount Vernon Trail (just south of Four Mile Run)

Views:	121 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	10248

Mount Vernon Trail (south of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge)

Views:	112 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	10249

Potomac Yard Trail (north of Braddock Road)

Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	10250

I learned last week that both Alexandria and Washington will be sharing their data on the Bike Arlington bike counter dashboard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alexandria Bike Counter Tour

Now that the data from the bike counters is up and running on the BikeArlington site, I finished the video of my ride around Alexandria to visit each counter. I had done the ride in January but waited to create the video until the data was online.

Note: I chose to leave in the idiot rolling through the stop sign and crosswalk at 1:29 because it was one of those "Really?" moments.

Also, I noticed that the bike counter on the Potomac Yard Trail near the Braddock Road Metro station is not listed on the dashboard. Is that counter malfunctioning?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Note: I chose to leave in the idiot rolling through the stop sign and crosswalk at 1:29 because it was one of those "Really?" moments.
    Have you ever driven out of there in a vehicle? The sight lines are terrible.

I used to get annoyed with people pulling out into the crosswalks, but it really is just a bad design. I'm mean I still do get annoyed, but I used to also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post

I used to get annoyed with people pulling out into the crosswalks, but it really is just a bad design. I'm mean I still do get annoyed, but I used to also.
    I drive a lot. A very long time ago they taught me in driving school that:
    1) you stop at the stop line (not in the crosswalk)
    2) after determining that there's nobody crossing in the crosswalk you should move up if you can't see well enough to tell whether you can complete the turn
    3) at no time should you be moving past the stop sign and the crosswalk without actually stopping
    4) again, the crosswalk is not the stop line
    5) this isn't hard

I don't see this as bad design, I see it as a person who habitually rolls right over the crosswalk while looking toward the left, and never even considers stopping prior to the crosswalk. Not bad design, just too lazy/important to risk losing a second or two.
    Last edited by mstone; 04-08-2016 at 11:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I drive a lot.
    So....have you driven through this specific intersection with this particular topic in mind?

It's both. Not stopping at the stop bar first was bad behavior on the driver's party, but having to pull fully into the crosswalk in order to see oncoming traffic is bad design, either on the part of the engineers or on the landscapers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post

Also, I noticed that the bike counter on the Potomac Yard Trail near the Braddock Road Metro station is not listed on the dashboard. Is that counter malfunctioning?
    The counter is not working properly and it will need to be relocated.

Post Thanks / Like

It's both. Not stopping at the stop bar first was bad behavior on the driver's party, but having to pull fully into the crosswalk in order to see oncoming traffic is bad design, either on the part of the engineers or on the landscapers.
    This conflict occurs everywhere. Almost every intersection in my neighborhood, for example. I'd guess that the vast majority of intersections with these parameters (i.e. crosswalks just past stop signs that are not all-way stops) require a driver to pull forward through the crosswalk in order to see when it is safe to turn.

Not here, but parked vehicles are the most common sightline obstruction in such cases.

Post Thanks / Like

My main issue with the driver is that they acted like the crosswalk (and people like me about to enter it) was invisible. I understand having to pull out into the crosswalk in order to see due to poor sightlines, but one needs to actually stop first and look before pulling out into a crosswalk. A similar pet peeve of mine is when drivers use crosswalks as stop lines when coming up to a red light which forces pedestrians to go into the intersection to get around them.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    The counter is not working properly and it will need to be relocated.
    Aw, does this mean my video is already going to be out of date? I'm glad all of the others are working, though.