Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arlington Traffic Signals Detecting Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like

Question Arlington Traffic Signals Detecting Bicycles

Looking for a bit of crowd-source help with an advocacy project - I'm trying to get Arlington to take some cheap, easy, interim steps to allow older traffic signals to detect bikes until those signals can be replaced. As part of that, I'm trying to identify a few potential signals for a pilot project. Of the following intersections with traffic signals that are a) immediately adjacent to bike routes and b) on the 2016 Paving Plan, do you have any personal experience with them NOT detecting bicycles?

Here they are on a map - yellow dots are the signals. Click on the signal and it'll tell you the intersection name.

Here they are as a list:
    10th St & Highland St
    15th St & Eads St
    Columbia Pike & Court House Rd
    Columbia Pike & George Mason Dr
    Columbia Pike & Joyce St
    Columbia Pike & Monroe St
    Columbia Pike & Quincy St
    Courthouse Rd & 13th St
    Eads St & 12th St
    Fairfax Dr & Monroe St
    Fairfax Dr & Nelson St
    Fairfax Dr & Quincy St
    Fairfax Dr & Stafford St
    Fairfax Dr & Taylor St
    Glebe Rd & Henderson Rd
    Jefferson Davis Hwy & 15th St S
    Jefferson Davis Hwy & 15th St S
    Lee Highway & Cleveland St
    Lee Highway & Danvilles St
    Lee Highway & Lorcom/Woodstock
    Lee Highway & Monroe St
    Old Dominion Dr & Wakefield St
    Old Dominion Dr & Williamsburg Blvd
    Randolph St & 9th St
    Shirlington Rd & 24th St S
    Shirlington Rd & Four Mile Run Dr
    Veitch St & Key Blvd
    Walter Reed Dr & Arlington Mill Dr
    Walter Reed Dr & Dinwiddie St
    Walter Reed Dr & Four Mile Run Dr
    Walter Reed Dr & Wakefield St
    Washington Blvd & Highland St
    Washington Blvd & Pershing Dr
    Williamsburg Blvd & Harriosn St
    Williamsburg Blvd & Westmoreland St
    Wilson Blvd & Barton St
    Wilson Blvd & Monroe St
    Wilson Blvd & Oak St
    Wilson Blvd & Pierce St
    Wilson Blvd & Quinn St
    Wilson Blvd & Rhodes St
    Wilson Blvd & Stuart St

Post Thanks / Like

Old Dominion & Williamsburg, on Williamsburg, does NOT detect bicycles (neither does Williamsburg and Glebe, but that is not on your list. In fact, several others that I find do not detect bicycles are not on your list). The other intersections that I use which are on your list, seem to always have cars there when I am, or I have few issues in crossing otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    In fact, several others that I find do not detect bicycles are not on your list).
    I'm trying to get things done as part of repaving so only signals adjacent to a 2016 paving project are on the list.

None of my three least favorite signals are adjacent to 2016 paving so I feel your pain. [Incidentally they're: Glebe / 7th St S, Arlington Blvd / Irving, Pershing / S Jackson]

I'll add Old Dominion & Williamsburg to the potential pilot list.

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure I have experience with Columbia Pike and Court House not detecting me, but I'm not positive.

Last week I was on S Shirlington waiting to turn left on 24th Rd S., and I'm almost positive it would not detect me. The walk sign countdown going in front of me went through several cycles while I sat there like a fool, waiting for a vehicle to arrive. My neighbor rode by me through the red, and was literally halfway to Glebe by the time I turned.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Four Mile Run Drive and Glebe and Glebe.

Washington Blvd at 13th (and 15th)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    The walk sign countdown going in front of me went through several cycles while I sat there like a fool, waiting for a vehicle to arrive.
    This is a fool-proof way to know that you were not detected.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a bit difficult to test some of these lights due to the sheer quantity of drivers, but I'm sure that some late-night riding will offer better opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have experience with Columbia Pike and Court House not detecting me, but I'm not positive.

Last week I was on S Shirlington waiting to turn left on 24th Rd S., and I'm almost positive it would not detect me. The walk sign countdown going in front of me went through several cycles while I sat there like a fool, waiting for a vehicle to arrive. My neighbor rode by me through the red, and was literally halfway to Glebe by the time I turned.
    Remember that in Virginia, you only have to wait the shorter of 2 minutes or 2 full light cycles: http://www.virginiadot.org/programs/...sp#Definitions

Post Thanks / Like

Hell, Arlington signals can't even detect motorcycles. And reporting it to the County has been almost as useful as pissing into the wind.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighth View Post
    Hell, Arlington signals can't even detect motorcycles. And reporting it to the County has been almost as useful as pissing into the wind.
    I've had more than a few opportunities to take advantage of the two minute law. Although I worry about doing it during "normal" hours, as most drivers aren't aware of the law and would probably hassle me or think I'm a squid.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I've had more than a few opportunities to take advantage of the two minute law. Although I worry about doing it during "normal" hours, as most drivers aren't aware of the law and would probably hassle me or think I'm a squid.
    Isn't it 3 minutes in VA? There are definitely signals that have longer cycles than 2 minutes (e.g. W&OD at Gallows is ~2:30, I believe).