Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Automated Counters - Alexandria

Post Thanks / Like

Default Automated Counters - Alexandria

During this summer, The City of Alexandria received approval from the National Park Service to install an automatic counter on the Mount Vernon Trail, just south of the Washington Sailing Marina. A second counter was installed earlier this mount on Commonwealth Avenue, just north of the intersection with Mount Vernon Avenue. While the first counter counts both pedestrians and bike riders, the counter on Commonwealth is installed in the bike lane and will only count bike riders.

Beginning this week, the City’s Transportation and Environmental Services (T&ES) department will begin installing 7 additional counters throughout the city. Weather permitting, the plan is to complete the installation of the counters by the end of November.
    Planned schedule

• November 6 - sites 4 & 6
    • November 10 - sites 4 & 6
    • November 20 - sites 7 & 8
    • November 23 - sites 5 & 3
    • November 24 - sites 1, 5 & 3
    • November 25 - extra day for weather delays

Following a period of calibration, including field counts, the city plans to make the data publicly available. Alexandria is currently coordinating with Arlington County to see if the data could be published on Arlington’s dashboard. (http://www.bikearlington.com/pages/b...ter-dashboard/)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Counter Locations.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	9988

Post Thanks / Like

Is the one on MVT just south of the sailing marina before the trail splits toward Abingdon or around power plant? I can't even recall if I've seen it. I'll look tonight en route home if I remember. But good to see and I think it will help the local jurisdiction explain the frequent use of the trail/surrounding roads/paths.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just north of the wooden bridge on the curve.

Post Thanks / Like

So the City fails to put any counters on the West End, save for one on Holmes Run Trail.

Thus there are no statistics on ped and bike activity in the West End.

Thus they have a ready-made excuse for the continued neglect of the West End.

Brilliant.

How about they put a counter on the King Street/395 bridge, where people still use that sidewalk despite its horrific condition and its lack of proper crosswalks on either end of the bridge. Or maybe at King+28th where I got hit by an illegal right-on-red. Or King-Quaker-Braddock where people make illegal right-on-red on a daily basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtowner View Post
    It's just north of the wooden bridge on the curve.
    Oh, is it that wooden post? I think I saw it this morning. It has been there a little while. I never even thought about what it was.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlington124 View Post
    So the City fails to put any counters on the West End, save for one on Holmes Run Trail.

Brilliant.

How about they put a counter on the King Street/395 bridge, where people still use that sidewalk despite its horrific condition and its lack of proper crosswalks on either end of the bridge. Or maybe at King+28th where I got hit by an illegal right-on-red. Or King-Quaker-Braddock where people make illegal right-on-red on a daily basis.
    We will still have manual counts twice a year, and presumably with more automated counters we can deploy our volunteer resources better.

On the West side of town generally - while I am glad we now have bike lanes on Wheeler and on Hampton, I agree that the big items have yet to be done.

I note that the draft bike ped master plan identifies King from Quaker to 28th as a priority project for pedestrian improvement (meaning continuous sidewalks, at a minimum, I think) King from Janneys to Menokin is a priority corridor biking improvement.

How fast and how well those get implemented is not clear of course. I voted today for those whom I think are most likely to advance multimodalism, and hence such projects, in the City.

I do not know the status of the King/Beauregard project - it is apparently still on the T&ES website as starting in calendar year 2015, but I see no signs of that, and I have not been to a BPAC meeting in a while. Do you have other info?

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant.

I think one of the difficulties of placing the ped/bike counters is that they need to be on infrastructure where vehicles are not allowed (bike lanes and off-street sidewalks/path). Another is the fact that there aren't many bike lanes/off-street paths in a large portion of Alexandria, even if there are sharrows.

That said, this at least will bring the number of counters to 9 which is a great improvement. Having the extra data coming in will be very useful, especially if the coordination with BikeArlington for the shared map data works out.

I have some suggestions for locations of future counters that would help fill in some of these gaps:
    • Holmes Run Trail near Chambliss/Dora Kelley Nature Park (it would at least count me every day )
    • King St bike lane between Upland and Walnut
    • Old Dominion Blvd bike lane between Tennessee Ave/Glebe Rd
    • Jamieson Ave bike lane in Carlyle
    • Wilkes St tunnel in Old Town
    • Pickett St bike lane between Pegram St and Seminary Rd
    • Seminary Rd north sidewalk just east of bridge over I-395

Until then, I'm excited to see the results we can get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I do not know the status of the King/Beauregard project - it is apparently still on the T&ES website as starting in calendar year 2015, but I see no signs of that, and I have not been to a BPAC meeting in a while. Do you have other info?
    Deleted from the LocalMotion webpage (Hillary Poole's program), but remains on the TES page. The website said beginning in the Fall of this year, but I haven't seen a gram of dirt overturned yet. Going by the project description, I assume that Phase I will be the installation of the medians, and that Phase II will be the widened sidepaths (since "Utility Relocation" falls between Phase I and Phase II).

On a related note, a public notice is on the old hospital site at 4600 King, where the new development with Harris Teeter may go. Many people will walk there, from Park Center, Fairlington, etc. City better plan ahead for this.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Deleted from the LocalMotion webpage (Hillary Poole's program), but remains on the TES page. The website said beginning in the Fall of this year, but I haven't seen a gram of dirt overturned yet. Going by the project description, I assume that Phase I will be the installation of the medians, and that Phase II will be the widened sidepaths (since "Utility Relocation" falls between Phase I and Phase II).

On a related note, a public notice is on the old hospital site at 4600 King, where the new development with Harris Teeter may go. Many people will walk there, from Park Center, Fairlington, etc. City better plan ahead for this.

Given that it is just now going to the planning commission (?) I am not expecting construction to happen before, what, summer at the earliest? Completion no earlier than late 2017? That is time for the intersection project to be done if they start soon. Of course if they build before construction on Alexandria Gateway gets underway, I suppose they can use the lot for storage for the intersection project, which should make things easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Plans to improve the King and Beauregard intersection have been in the works since at least 2006.

Last year at a city meeting, I asked about the status of this project. I was told that it was held up due to delays in the development of the hospital site. As I recall, the developer was going to be providing funding/work for the intersection improvements.

From a non-city web site phase 1

Construction work includes grading, curb and gutter installation and construction of retaining walls.
    Bids were due back to city on October 21. I wouldn't expect construction to start anytime soon.