Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed New Forum Topic: Crashes, Accidents and Incidents

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, I just read about the couple on their tandem bike killed today in Chesapeake Beach by a drunk driver:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ea1_story.html

"Two residents of upper Montgomery County were killed in southern Maryland Saturday afternoon when their tandem bicycle was struck by a vehicle from behind.

John Henrik Fauerby, 64, and Lynne Frances Rosenbusch, 58, both of Clarksburg, were riding the bicycle north on Tobacco Road in Calvert County about 3 p.m. when the crash occurred near Tobacco Lane in the Chesapeake Beach area, the sheriff’s office said.
    ...In a statement, the office said Catherine Frances Lyon, 62, of Huntingtown, Md., was charged with driving under the influence and homicide by motor vehicle while under the influence."

Post Thanks / Like

What a horrible story. It just leaves you sick. Drinking–and-driving is so idiotic and so dangerous. Please watch out on the roads, my friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Awful news. There was also a cyclist killed this week on Maine Avenue westbound at 14th Street. Be safe out there everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwarkentien View Post
    Awful news. There was also a cyclist killed this week on Maine Avenue westbound at 14th Street. Be safe out there everyone.
    News stories say pedestrian, not bicyclist
    http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015/...by-car-in-d-c/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    News stories say pedestrian, not bicyclist
    http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015/...by-car-in-d-c/
    Thanks for that update. Initial stories said bicyclist. Still sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

When I initially proposed this new topic I called it Accidents and Incidents only because it rolls off the tongue rather easily. I added "Crashes" in my final review knowing that is the proper term used by our bicycle community.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandriaBiker View Post
    When I initially proposed this new topic I called it Accidents and Incidents only because it rolls off the tongue rather easily. I added "Crashes" in my final review knowing that is the proper term used by our bicycle community.
    The point is that crash is to be used instead of, not in addition to.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crash data - Virginia

I decided to check out what data was available from the Virginia state government on crashes. You can create interactive reports on crash data including filtering by crashes involving bicyclists.

Here is a summary of reported crashes that involved bicyclists. There have been no reported crashes in Falls Church this year.

Jurisdiction Crashes Fatalities Injuries
    Alexandria 21 0 20
    Arlington 36 0 33
    Fairfax 71 0 71
    Fairfax City 4 0 4
    Totals 132 0 128

(As noted in each report - The 2015 data contained in this report is preliminary and subject to change. Some crash information may not have been reported or finalized by Law Enforcement.)
    Last edited by CaseyKane50; 11-02-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Data is for January 1, 2015 to date

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    There have been no reported crashes in Falls Church this year.
    Clearly more orange cones and stop-sign enforcement are needed on the trails elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    ​I have long believed that what local bike advocacy groups are lacking is hard data. If we're to make any headway with the legal/policy side of our arguments, we should have real numbers that illustrate what we all suspect and can't prove -- that the penalties for conflicts between vehicles and cyclists are usually paltry and lame, and do nothing to change driver awareness and behavior.

After Tom Palermo's death last year, I proposed to WABA that they should have a case tracker database that follows up on every crash/incident reported to them. Statistics on the final outcomes -- court convictions and sentences, civil suits, whether or not someone's driver's license was revoked or restricted -- ​​​could be tallied over time, and the rollup would likely paint an indisputable picture.

Although I think the WABA leadership was 100% with me philosophically, I was told my proposal would require legal research and staff time -- ballpark $20k/year -- that they just couldn't afford at the time. Grants and other funding possibilities are minimal. What they're left with is their Crash Tracker database that mostly collects anecdotal evidence.
    (Quoting myself.... that must fail somekinda forum etiquette )

Here to report good news on this topic!

I got to speak with Greg Billing (new Executive Director for WABA) tonight about this very subject. He hears and agrees that, in the effort to pursue better legislation protecting cyclists, more data is needed. You can't ask for better laws without proving that the existing ones don't work.

As part of their strategy for 2016, WABA has put the legal angles of advocacy as a high priority. They are busy funding and creating a new position for a legal researcher. It's not a lawyer, but someone who can research what ultimately resulted from all those anecdotes submitted to Crash Tracker.

He said that sadly, because of contributory negligence laws (which are hopefully about to change in DC, then they can work on MD and VA), many incidents don't even become cases because lawyers know they won't get anywhere in court.

So they want to build a database of which cases actually went to court (and which did not), the outcomes of cases that were heard, and which incidents were settled in civil suits. Revocation of drivers licenses is another thing we talked about, both rolling our eyes.

The event I attended this evening was at REI Rockville, with speakers from Adventure Cycling Association and WABA, and reps there from several other organizations. Greg will talk more about their worthy goals and strategy for 2016 at the WABA Holiday Party on Thursday, December 17th from 6:00-10:00pm at Johnny Pistolas, 2333 18th St NW,Washington, DC, 20009 (Adams Morgan). Peter and I are going, and hope to see a lot of you there.

BTW I was surprised by the number of WABA members he stated, it seemed really low (5000-something? maybe I heard that wrong) for such a well established organization. If you have opinions on stuff like this, please join!