Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for bike accident info -- Eisenhower & Mill Rd -- Alexandria

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    On the topic of cameras, the Fly 6 is getting good reviews on the Women & Bicycles group...
    Downside of the Fly 6 is it's only designed mounting position is the seat post. If you ride with a rack bag or a larger seat bag you're out of luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I debated the front facing versus rearward facing. For myself, I decided that rear impacts were less common, and even there a front facing camera will establish your relative fault insofar as charges of irregular and unpredictable cycling, "coming out of nowhere", etc. are made. I'm more concerned about red light runners, those who cruise stop signs, and those who change lanes into mine without checking. For that, a front facing camera seems better.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Updates?

Looking for any update on the status of your dad and the possibility of fighting the ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by k8atkisson View Post
    My dad was hit by a car yesterday (Oct. 23, 2015) around 11 a.m. as he was traveling east down Eisenhower at Mill Rd. He sustained a concussion, had temporary amnesia so he remembers nothing about the accident. But he was charged with the moving violation for failing to maintain line of travel. The behavior cited in the ticket seems pretty atypical for his style of riding so I was hoping someone here might be able to surface a witness to this one. Thanks much!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandriaBiker View Post
    Looking for any update on the status of your dad and the possibility of fighting the ticket?
    I find it especially interesting that the APD repeatedly tell us that they can't enforce violations of traffic laws (3 foot passing, aggressive driving) without witnessing said infraction yet in this case, the officer took eyewitness testimony from a single eyewitness to write a ticket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scorchedearth View Post
    I find it especially interesting that the APD repeatedly tell us that they can't enforce violations of traffic laws (3 foot passing, aggressive driving) without witnessing said infraction yet in this case, the officer took eyewitness testimony from a single eyewitness to write a ticket.
    I would not call the person operating the car an "eyewitness". It seems all too plausible he was distracted and it was precisely his NOT watching what was around him that led to the crash. An eyewitness would be a disinterested third party, and from what I've read here, the police did not have one, did not witness the crash, but issued a citation anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    I would not call the person operating the car an "eyewitness". It seems all too plausible he was distracted and it was precisely his NOT watching what was around him that led to the crash. An eyewitness would be a disinterested third party
    Current research suggests that all eyewitness testimony is useless, so taking any action without video is basically making stuff up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Current research suggests that all eyewitness testimony is useless, so taking any action without video is basically making stuff up.
    The irony of your statement above is that the APD won't even take video footage as evidence of negligent driving.

I have a colleague who submitted video of an egregious driving violation (passing too closely) while she was riding her bike and the APD issued their usual refrain,"We can't do anything."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scorchedearth View Post
    The irony of your statement above is that the APD won't even take video footage as evidence of negligent driving.

I have a colleague who submitted video of an egregious driving violation (passing too closely) while she was riding her bike and the APD issued their usual refrain,"We can't do anything."
    Oh, I'm not making an assertion about whether APD has a stupid policy, just commenting on the futility of defining a "good" eyewitness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Oh, I'm not making an assertion about whether APD has a stupid policy, just commenting on the futility of defining a "good" eyewitness.
    I am not trying to put words in your mouth at all. If that is how it sounded, then I apologize.

I wanted to point out how the police cannot get their stories straight.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

If reporting specific dangerous passes to APD is not working, I would suggest using Call.Click.Connect to report locations where more enforcement is needed. That is (allegedly) the basis they used for the enforcement on Union Street.