Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for bike accident info -- Eisenhower & Mill Rd -- Alexandria

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for bike accident info -- Eisenhower & Mill Rd -- Alexandria

My dad was hit by a car yesterday (Oct. 23, 2015) around 11 a.m. as he was traveling east down Eisenhower at Mill Rd. He sustained a concussion, had temporary amnesia so he remembers nothing about the accident. But he was charged with the moving violation for failing to maintain line of travel. The behavior cited in the ticket seems pretty atypical for his style of riding so I was hoping someone here might be able to surface a witness to this one. Thanks much!
    Last edited by k8atkisson; 10-24-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's awful! I hope he recovers fully and quickly.

Am curious - on what basis was the citation issued? Did the police officer witness the incident? Ticket your dad based on the testimony of the motorist???

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I would very highly suggest contacting Bruce Deming at 703-528-4669. He is an attorney that specializes in helping cyclists who have been in an accident. He generally works pro bono and is the best attorney for these types of accidents in the area.

www.thebikelawyer.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k8atkisson View Post
    My dad was hit by a car yesterday (Oct. 23, 2015) moving violation for failing to maintain line of travel.
    Does he, by chance, use a GPS device while he rides, like a Garmin? Although it may not be accurate enough evidence to hold up in court, it would be interesting to see what it shows.

5. 10-25-2015, 09:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike Accident

I did not witness the accident but was through that intersection on my bike about 12:15 on Friday and saw nothing unusual. I was heading eastbound and on the multi-use path. Alexandria Police have been ticketing bikers more frequently because of Alexandria residents complaining that bicyclists do not follow the law. This may have been an overzealous police officer ticketing a bicyclist.

Layman's guide to Virginia Bicycle Laws: http://www.virginiadot.org/programs/bk-laws.asp#Where

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much! This has been really helpful.

My dad got the police report today -- taken entirely from the driver's version of events it seems. Scary stuff for sure.

Wear your helmets, hug the cyclists you love, use your Garmin and take a camera. Man!

I'll update to share any useful information I get out of this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k8atkisson View Post
    My dad got the police report today -- taken entirely from the driver's version of events it seems. Scary stuff for sure.
    Does the report claim that the driver was in the right lane when he struck your father? If so, then the driver was almost certainly in violation of the 3-foot passing law. Looking at the street view, it appears that a car would have to move partially or mostly into the left lane in order to pass a person on a bicycle and maintain at least a 3 foot clearance.

This is the sort of thing that should be discussed with Mr. Deming.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

On the topic of cameras, the Fly 6 is getting good reviews on the Women & Bicycles group...

Post Thanks / Like

Dad must have a birthday coming up soon. Good cameras can now be had for a little over a hundred bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    On the topic of cameras, the Fly 6 is getting good reviews on the Women & Bicycles group...
    Thanks for the recommendation - I just picked one up at Competitive Cyclist - they are running a 20% off sale, so it was about $140 with free shipping and tax.