Likes Likes:  113
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 173

Thread: while we're talking tires...good compromise between gravel and slick?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    ARL
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    Hmm, not sure I would want something that far off the shape of the 6 bolts behind the rotor. 1mm increments are going to be too much in some cases, too.

    These are what I have, although I still don't have perfect fit. I could perhaps tune them more, but without thru axle I think it's a little pointless since it's more difficult to get the same QR axle tightness. (Also, I use cheap rotors on some of my wheels.)
    $1.99 stainless steel 0.2mm increments
    http://thebikelane.com/product/synta...s-243006-1.htm
    Apologies, I should have been clear that I was referring to the centerlock systems for the 1mm cassette spacer. I have 5 of the syntace (which comes to 1mm) on my ISO 6 bolt front rotor, which work much better than the several layers of beer cans that were previously accomplishing the same task.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    635
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [QUOTE=Powerful Pete;126225]Don't go with the Gators. Cycling is meant to be fun. Honestly, a less enjoyable riding tire is yet to be invented.


    I am converted. After two flats this week I changed tires last night and put on a pair of Gatorskins that I bought at a deep discount late last summer. I had used them before and didn't really notice anything. The tires I replaced last night were stock Mavic tires that came on the wheels I bought last fall. Whatever the Mavic tires were/are, I found them to be supple and smooth. This morning, after no more than 50 feet on the Gatorskins I noticed a BIG difference, and none for the good. They felt very sticky, almost like glue on the road. I had dead legs this morning, so that's probably part of it, but I really hated the way the Gatorskins rolled this morning. Out of guilt (because I payed for them), I'll probably use them through the Winter and let them take the abuse of all the garbage that's collected on the roads, but I'm going to switch them out in the Spring, maybe to the GP4000S's the Hozn touts.

  3. #63
    vvill's Avatar
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney AU
    Posts
    2,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    I am converted. After two flats this week I changed tires last night and put on a pair of Gatorskins that I bought at a deep discount late last summer. I had used them before and didn't really notice anything. The tires I replaced last night were stock Mavic tires that came on the wheels I bought last fall. Whatever the Mavic tires were/are, I found them to be supple and smooth. This morning, after no more than 50 feet on the Gatorskins I noticed a BIG difference, and none for the good. They felt very sticky, almost like glue on the road. I had dead legs this morning, so that's probably part of it, but I really hated the way the Gatorskins rolled this morning. Out of guilt (because I payed for them), I'll probably use them through the Winter and let them take the abuse of all the garbage that's collected on the roads, but I'm going to switch them out in the Spring, maybe to the GP4000S's the Hozn touts.
    I use one of mine as a trainer tire... muahahahahaha. Sweet revenge.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT.

    Want.


    I really kinda want them for Monster Cross.


    Rock and Road Tires 700x43

    Emailed the company to see if they thought they'd fit my Warbird (I can fit 700x44 and the 40's on there right now have plenty o'room on either side by the chainstays...

  5. #65
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,654
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have heard/read about those Rock-and-Road tires as good all-terrain options. I do not have a good option for mud on the 'cross bike; maybe those would be? But for hardpack and pavement hard to imagine anything better than the Trigger.

    (The Panaracer Comets look nice too. Would love to hear a comparison between those and the Trigger.)

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bruce wrote me back right away so I ordered them. You're welcome to borrow them for a test run when they get here.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Bruce wrote me back right away so I ordered them. You're welcome to borrow them for a test run when they get here.
    I'd like to hire you as a personal bike parts shopper

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you've got a bike that can handle 43mm tires, the Rock and Roads are AMAZING. I didn't have any issues with them yesterday at Monster Cross and it was pretty much every kind of surface you can think of plus it rained the last hour so they've been tested in dry and wet. Absolutely love them.

  9. #69
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,654
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    If you've got a bike that can handle 43mm tires, the Rock and Roads are AMAZING. I didn't have any issues with them yesterday at Monster Cross and it was pretty much every kind of surface you can think of plus it rained the last hour so they've been tested in dry and wet. Absolutely love them.
    How does the pavement rolling compare to the Clements you run normally (are those 40mm MSOs?) ?

    My current list of off-road tires to try includes:
    - Kenda Flintridge (40mm, tubeless)
    - Panaracer Comet (40mm, and apparently works tubeless)
    - Schwalbe G-One (40mm, tubeless)

    But it'll be awhile before I wear out my Specialized Triggers, so probably any other tire will be one that is less exclusively for hardpack.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    How does the pavement rolling compare to the Clements you run normally (are those 40mm MSOs?) ?

    My current list of off-road tires to try includes:
    - Kenda Flintridge (40mm, tubeless)
    - Panaracer Comet (40mm, and apparently works tubeless)
    - Schwalbe G-One (40mm, tubeless)

    But it'll be awhile before I wear out my Specialized Triggers, so probably any other tire will be one that is less exclusively for hardpack.
    I usually keep the 40 MSO's on there all the time and ride a lot of pavement in them. The Rock and Roads didn't feel any slower at all - there was a 2-3 mile paved section around mile 10 (mostly uphill?) and both times around I used that section to open it up and gain a lot of time. That could be due to relief at finding some recovery time on pavement though. They only time they felt slow was in a few of the sandier spots (the feeling where you're not quite sure if your tire is flat or not).

    I tried them Sat when I first put them on at 70psi and HATED them. They were squirrelly if you moved the wheel even a little bit and I was really nervous I'd made a huge mistake. But I let out some air and they flattened a bit and were fine. I doubt I would have been as happy with the MSO's especially after it started raining. I wish I could tell you what I was running but I did it off feel. Probably around 40 which was almost too much.

    Seriously - take them for a test spin around Lake FFX if you think they'll fit your bike (they're pretty meaty). Once things dry out, I plan to do just this.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •