Likes Likes:  121
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: while we're talking tires...good compromise between gravel and slick?

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I have ridden from Georgetown to Great Falls Park and back on the C&O many times without any problems on 25s slicks (Armadillo Elites which are reinforced with Kevlar and kinda bomb proof). I've never worried about flatting or damage to the tires; biggest drawback is the bumpiness of the ride but I doubt there is that much difference between 25s and 35s. That said, I've only ridden the trail when it was dry. Overall, I find the trail to be quite smooth once you get about three miles outside Georgetown.

hozn is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sethpo View Post
    You mentioned these before and I was very intrigued so I did some research. It seems that they are coming out with a One Pro tubeless in 2016 but as far as I can tell it's not available yet. I was planning on waiting for them. Have you heard/seen anything on those?
    Yeah, I saw that these were coming out, but have not seen them yet anywhere. I plan to swap my road bike to those (or maybe a 25mm set of the regular ones) once I wear through my current set of GP4000s.

Edit: I just ordered a set of these in 23mm for the road bike -- in addition to an extra 28mm for the commuter. 2k miles now and the rear still looks decent, so longevity seems good [for a performance tire].
    Last edited by hozn; 10-14-2015 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't like the feel of 23's on the new bike. The new bike is supposed to be plush and comfy, making me feel like I can roll over and through anything. And the 23's make it too rough for my taste.

I also realized I had two flats with two different sets of Sammy Slicks - one was a pinch flat (pot hole) but the other was a puncture from piece of glass; this was on my current folding set which are soft and pliant. Great ride feel but potentially bad for commuting.

So I'll probably initially go with fatter gators for every day rides. Or always carry a few tubes and stick with the Sammy Slicks. I do like how they ride.

Occasionally Arlington, VA. But mainly in Lima, Peru.
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't go with the Gators. Cycling is meant to be fun. Honestly, a less enjoyable riding tire is yet to be invented.

Another vote for fatty Schwalbes. I am impressed with the regular 32 Duranos. Not great, but not half bad either.

I would put in a vote for the tubeless set that hozn mentioned, if your wheels are tubeless ready.

Post Thanks / Like

My "compromise" tires right now are a pair of Conti Tour Rides or something like that. They claim to be 37c, but my caliper tells me they're really 33c at 60 psi. It's a fairly heavy tire that hasn't ever flatted on me, and have had no issue riding roads, the GAP/canal down from Pitt, and some singletrack.

Once these wear out (which will likely be a while) I'm looking at Schwalbe Marathon Racers (28c).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pete View Post
    Don't go with the Gators. Cycling is meant to be fun. Honestly, a less enjoyable riding tire is yet to be invented.
    I confirm Conti Gatorskin tires simply ride awfully harsh. Plus Conti sizing is way off, their 28s are as narrow as others' 23s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pete View Post

Another vote for fatty Schwalbes. I am impressed with the regular 32 Duranos. Not great, but not half bad either.

I would put in a vote for the tubeless set that hozn mentioned, if your wheels are tubeless ready.

I've ridden gators before and truly didn't notice any downside! May be due lack of saddle time compared to most of you.

My rims are tubeless ready (DT Swiss R24s) but I'm NOT - I don't have any workspace at home where I could deal with the potential mess. Plus, I weigh 115-120lb: I can run a pretty low pressure on gravel with no issues. My two main concerns are puncture resistance (like Wheels and Wings) and plushiness so I can bomb stuff and not get tossed around and wanting to death grip. The Sammies were nice and cushy, but don't seem like they'd stand up to city street detritus.

The ride home last night (pavement only) on the Pro4's was fast, sure...but not FUN. Or not as much fun as it could have been. Fun > speed for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    I confirm Conti Gatorskin tires simply ride awfully harsh. Plus Conti sizing is way off, their 28s are as narrow as others' 23s.
    Depends on your rim. On my Pacentis the gator 28's were almost as fat at my schwalbe 35's on my DT Swiss rims.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a set of Schwalbe Marathon Mondial's. Anxious to see how they compare to the stock Bontrager's that came with the bike.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I've ridden gators before and truly didn't notice any downside! May be due lack of saddle time compared to most of you.
    Don't worry, you're not the only one. I've used Gatorskins on every road bike I've had and I've never noticed any difference, even right after switching tires from non-gators to gators. But I do use my road bikes for commuting--95% on roads--and I've never had a puncture with a Gatorskin, so I don't plan to switch any time soon.