Likes Likes:  113
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: while we're talking tires...good compromise between gravel and slick?

Post Thanks / Like

Default while we're talking tires...good compromise between gravel and slick?

Got a super fun new bike and it came with Schwalbe Sammy Slicks 35s. No issues with them really although I put my Michelin Pro 4's on there the other day because I had planned to get up stupidly early and ride some hills with the Bikenetic crew. I slept in instead.

Anyway, the Pro4's are still on there (23's) and coming in this am I was hesitant to hop off the W&OD and onto the gravel side track (sad face). It's a beautiful afternoon and I'd like to go up the C&O to Chain Bridge and then suffer up 41st but...skinny Pro 4's and I only have one tube with me.

Again, no issues with the Schwalbes, just wondering if there's a better middle ground tire that lets me take some super fun detours on my super fun new bike during my daily commute.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried 30+mm Challenge Strada Bianca's, but had sidewall tears with three of them over as many months.

But then I switched to 33mm Compass Stampede Pass Extralites this season and have been very pleased. They were fast enough for sporty road rides but still had enough loft to get out on the C&O Canal. If I had a schmancy new Warbird I'd put on a set of those or the 35mm or 38mm variants (they also have 26mm and 28mm versions, but I'm a bigger dude and didn't really consider those).
    Last edited by 83(b); 10-14-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've ridden the C&O many times on the road bike with 23mm slicks. Its fine. I probably wouldn't want to ride for hours like that, but georgetown to 41st is no problem whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    I've ridden the C&O many times on the road bike with 23mm slicks. Its fine. I probably wouldn't want to ride for hours like that, but georgetown to 41st is no problem whatsoever.
    If I get a flat tonight on my ride home we're gonna have words. Especially if I'm late for chili.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default while we're talking tires...good compromise between gravel and slick?

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    Yes, I ride the C&O to Chain Bridge on slicks too. Not a problem.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've ridden a fair bit of gravel on slicks (GP4000S mainly) and it's fine. You'll slice up your sidewalls and eventually probably flat, but it's not something to be terrified about. Emboldened by jabberwocky's advice, I've started taking my slicks on mtb trails too, but just briefly. I haven't done the whole LakeFairfax route yet; mostly I'm afraid of being late to pick up my son from preschool if I have multiple flats.

I'm still enjoying my Schwalbe One tubeless tires. They're fast. And yet they do seem very durable. (Duranos are also very durable & grippy, but noticeably slower rolling.) I would not be scared of riding gravel (esp. light gravel like the C&O) on these.

Post Thanks / Like

I ride the C&O for about 20-30 miles every other weekend. I run 700x32c small block knobbies, cyclocross tires. Good balance of the various trade-offs.

Post Thanks / Like

That's one of my regular commuting routes and I run 700x32 continental gatorskin slicks. Zero flats, lots of rides.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Dickie I can confirm how well 23s actually hold up on gravel much more gnarly than the towpath....IME, the issue with the towpath and skinny tires is comfort and potentially sinking in wet dirt, but there really isn't anything there that makes me worry about punctures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post

I'm still enjoying my Schwalbe One tubeless tires. They're fast. And yet they do seem very durable. (Duranos are also very durable & grippy, but noticeably slower rolling.) I would not be scared of riding gravel (esp. light gravel like the C&O) on these.
    You mentioned these before and I was very intrigued so I did some research. It seems that they are coming out with a One Pro tubeless in 2016 but as far as I can tell it's not available yet. I was planning on waiting for them. Have you heard/seen anything on those?