Likes Likes:  113
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: while we're talking tires...good compromise between gravel and slick?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    They are Nobby Nics, so notorious for their porous sidewalls.
    Did someone say porous?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	18132
    Last edited by Tania; 07-13-2018 at 09:22 AM.

2. Likes hozn, Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still haven't actually ridden them, but hozn's old wheels with Compass tires are finally on the bike. Can't say much other than that they look good right now, and I've learned how to do a little bit more bike maintenance type stuff. I did cause a leak dropping a wrench adjusting the front brake, but pumped it up, plugged the leak with my thumb like a little Dutch boy, and ten seconds later it seemed to have fixed itself. Definitely a little worried what that says about the sidewalls.

Name:	IMG_20180713_170831.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	18133

Name:	IMG_20180713_170911.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	18134

4. Likes hozn liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Still haven't actually ridden them, but hozn's old wheels with Compass tires are finally on the bike. Can't say much other than that they look good right now, and I've learned how to do a little bit more bike maintenance type stuff. I did cause a leak dropping a wrench adjusting the front brake, but pumped it up, plugged the leak with my thumb like a little Dutch boy, and ten seconds later it seemed to have fixed itself. Definitely a little worried what that says about the sidewalls.

Name:	IMG_20180713_170831.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	18133

Name:	IMG_20180713_170911.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	18134
    Yeah, they aren't very thick, though that hasn't been a problem for me in practice riding. (Similarly, I had a thorn that punctured the sidewall but then sealed up and was no further problem.).

Those tires work well tubeless on those rims (which are a bit tight with other tires). I'm having a real struggle getting Compass tires to re-seat tubeless on my carbon rims, so I am slumming with tubes in those same tires right now. I'll try another couple tricks to get my Snoqualmie Pass tires to seat. They are just crazy loose ony rims.

I am resisting getting a compressor. I feel strongly that it shouldn't be needed. But I like the Compass tires enough to consider it.