Likes Likes:  121
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: while we're talking tires...good compromise between gravel and slick?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    They are Nobby Nics, so notorious for their porous sidewalls.
    Did someone say porous?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	18132
    Last edited by Tania; 07-13-2018 at 10:22 AM.

2. Likes hozn, Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still haven't actually ridden them, but hozn's old wheels with Compass tires are finally on the bike. Can't say much other than that they look good right now, and I've learned how to do a little bit more bike maintenance type stuff. I did cause a leak dropping a wrench adjusting the front brake, but pumped it up, plugged the leak with my thumb like a little Dutch boy, and ten seconds later it seemed to have fixed itself. Definitely a little worried what that says about the sidewalls.

Name:	IMG_20180713_170831.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	18133

Name:	IMG_20180713_170911.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	18134

4. Likes hozn liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Still haven't actually ridden them, but hozn's old wheels with Compass tires are finally on the bike. Can't say much other than that they look good right now, and I've learned how to do a little bit more bike maintenance type stuff. I did cause a leak dropping a wrench adjusting the front brake, but pumped it up, plugged the leak with my thumb like a little Dutch boy, and ten seconds later it seemed to have fixed itself. Definitely a little worried what that says about the sidewalls.

Name:	IMG_20180713_170831.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	18133

Name:	IMG_20180713_170911.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	18134
    Yeah, they aren't very thick, though that hasn't been a problem for me in practice riding. (Similarly, I had a thorn that punctured the sidewall but then sealed up and was no further problem.).

Those tires work well tubeless on those rims (which are a bit tight with other tires). I'm having a real struggle getting Compass tires to re-seat tubeless on my carbon rims, so I am slumming with tubes in those same tires right now. I'll try another couple tricks to get my Snoqualmie Pass tires to seat. They are just crazy loose ony rims.

I am resisting getting a compressor. I feel strongly that it shouldn't be needed. But I like the Compass tires enough to consider it.

Post Thanks / Like

Admittedly this is tangentially related to original post, but tubeless has been discussed. When I built up my current mountain bike, money was tighter and I put Mavic Crossrides on it b/c I could get them for a steal. They are narrow (21 mm), which I believe contributes to excess bounciness that varying air pressure doesn't seem to help. So, I'm ready to replace them, and I'm thinking about going tubeless. I've read so many comments about tubeless being great for mountain biking since you rarely get flats, but making the jump does make me nervous. Should I do it? Any thoughts on a bombproof, disc-compatible 27.5 wheel/tire combo for a Soma B-side? I have Panaracer Fires on it that I'm pretty sure aren't tubeless compatible (from 2013), but they sell them tubeless now so would likely lean toward those.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a tubeless fan. My mountain bikes are all tubeless and my cx bike is tubeless.

Downside - and this is a bit of a big one for me - it's messy so that means I'm more reticent to swap tires based on need and I need (want) to swap tires pretty often on my gravel bike and cx bikes. I'm learning to live with it - my cx bike has megabites on them right now and I refuse to race cx in the mud so these are fine I guess. I just don't like not being able to swap out on a whim. My tire pile calls to me.

I could set up my commuter tubeless once it comes off the trainer. But I've never (yet) had a flat on it and I don't need to run it at lower pressures so the mess-to-benefit ratio for me currently is low. So maybe. My gravel bike should be tubeless too I guess but again I've never flatted, my Rock and Roads (favorite tire of all time) aren't technically tubeless compatible and I'm slowly finding that I don't need lower pressure to feel comfortable on gravel or singletrack.

I guess it's worth if you flat a lot. I don't (I'm not very big).

OK, so maybe I'm not really a tubeless fan. It has its application but I don't feel it's required in all situations. My $0.02.
    Last edited by Tania; 11-06-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Downside - and this is a bit of a big one for me - it's messy so that means I'm more reticent to swap tires based on need and I need (want) to swap tires pretty often on my gravel bike and cx bikes. I'm learning to live with it - my cx bike has megabites on them right now and I refuse to race cx in the mud so these are fine I guess. I just don't like not being able to swap out on a whim. My tire pile calls to me.
    Sounds like you don't have enough wheel sets. Is there an equation for the optimum number of wheel sets one should have as a function of the number of bikes one has?

9. Likes Tania, josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Sounds like you don't have enough wheel sets. Is there an equation for the optimum number of wheel sets one should have as a function of the number of bikes one has?
    Generally, my wheel builds cost almost as much as my frames...

But I see your point.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you happen to remember the model of those bomber crabon wheels that came stock on your trail bike and the mech said a mere 4 spokes breaking wouldn't be an issue for those wheels at all? Because I like the sound of that.

The mess of tubeless is one of the issues, but I think for MTB might be worth it, and of course I'll still have my old wheels so will have two sets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Do you happen to remember the model of those bomber crabon wheels that came stock on your trail bike and the mech said a mere 4 spokes breaking wouldn't be an issue for those wheels at all? Because I like the sound of that.

The mess of tubeless is one of the issues, but I think for MTB might be worth it, and of course I'll still have my old wheels so will have two sets.
    https://www.wtb.com/products/ci31-carbon-rims - sold out now but they seem to have been $599/rim? Which for carbon I guess isn't too bad.

My spoke is still bent from that big stick I caught. Wheel still seems fine!

13. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, the only time I swap mountain bike tires are when they're worn so messiness isn't an issue. I have Nobby Nics on my trail bike and Minions on my enduro bike and love both. I will replace the front Minion for a fatter one come Spring.