Likes Likes:  125
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: while we're talking tires...good compromise between gravel and slick?

Post Thanks / Like

That's helpful. I had seen the site with the video, but had also read a couple of comments from folks on forums saying that to make a 142 fit on a 135, you'd have to shave 3.5 mm off both sides. I have Tange sliding dropouts so don't have a recess like in the vid. They are QR, not thru. (Thru on the front, QR in the back, just to make wheel buying more challenging.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    That's helpful. I had seen the site with the video, but had also read a couple of comments from folks on forums saying that to make a 142 fit on a 135, you'd have to shave 3.5 mm off both sides. I have Tange sliding dropouts so don't have a recess like in the vid. They are QR, not thru. (Thru on the front, QR in the back, just to make wheel buying more challenging.)
    Yup, understood. However, even after shaving 3.5mm off each side of the axle/endcaps, you still have the challenge of having a 12mm diameter hole through the center of the axle. What then would you use as a skewer? AFAIK, besides the possibility of it being too long, the diameter of the skewer will be 2mm too large to fit into your dropouts (BOOST uses 12mm diameter skewers that the frame sits on, while standard (i.e., non-boost) rear dropouts use 10mm diameter axles which the frame sits on).

But you mention the magic words: sliding dropouts! I'm not sure how similar Tange's are to Paragon's, but if they're similar/same, you can get the proper dropouts for that wheelset and call it a day:
    Driveside: http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/r...m12-x-1-5.html
    Discside: http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/r...mm-skewer.html

That said, Hozn's suggestion to get the swapout QR endcaps (if available for that hub) are a cheaper and better way to go IMO in your case.
    Last edited by drevil; 11-13-2018 at 10:38 AM.

3. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They have another model of carbon that ... is also sold out. Too bad, but perhaps I can find some used or elsewhere. I could always run them with the current tubed tires at first and change to tubeless later. Might swing by Bikenetic this weekend too and see what they might say.
    Someone is selling the WTB ci31 rims on Facebook right now - says they're brand new. Unfortunately for them, they're asking more than Jenson, the link to which they provided! Doh! Anyway, they're on Jenson right now for $540.

5. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Someone is selling the WTB ci31 rims on Facebook right now - says they're brand new. Unfortunately for them, they're asking more than Jenson, the link to which they provided! Doh! Anyway, they're on Jenson right now for $540.
    Thanks. Recent veterinary visit = 4 carbon wheels, so on hold until next year. Such is life.

7. Likes hozn, LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    Dislikes LeprosyStudyGroup disliked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Recent veterinary visit = 4 carbon wheels, so on hold until next year. Such is life.
    Boo. Hope the doggo is okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Boo. Hope the doggo is okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's practically bionic at this point. Both knee joints rebuilt with metal plates. But this time it's diabetes. Boo indeed.