Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alexandria City Election - Candidate responses on issues for people who walk and bike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    I'm considering moving to Alexandria just so I can vote against Van Fleet. :\
    If you do, be sure to also vote against Silberberg who couldn't even be bothered to reply to the questions.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just so you know, it is perfectly legal to do volunteer work for a campaign in a jurisdiction outside your own

Post Thanks / Like

A summary of the candidates' responses to the survey, can be found here

Just a reminder that elections are next Tuesday. If you can't make it to vote on Tuesday, you still have time to vote by absentee ballot.

Alexandria City - Office of Voter Registration & Elections
    132 North Royal Street, Suite 100 (beginning Friday, September 18)

In-person absentee voting at the Voter Registration Office began on Friday, September 18 at 8 a.m. and ends on Saturday, October 31 at 5:00 p.m.

Regular hours for in-person absentee voting are Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (The office will be closed on Monday, October 12.)
    Extended hours for in-person absentee voting are as follows:

October 29, from 8am to 8pm
    October 31, from 8am to 5pm

You may complete your absentee application when you come to vote.

Beatley Library
    5005 Duke Street

In-person absentee voting at Beatley Library begins on Saturday, October 24 and ends on Saturday, October 31. Voting hours are as follows:

October 29 from 1pm to 8pm
    October 30 from 1pm to 5pm
    October 31 from 10 am to 5pm

Post Thanks / Like

I applied for an absentee ballot since I'll be in Williamsburg Tuesday. If it doesn't appear on Saturday I'll have to see if I can vote in person absentee that afternoon. I give bonus points to Justin Wilson--he once replied to an email I wrote about bike share and trail use with a thoughtful response which actually addressed the points I brought up. And this was on a Saturday.

My husband and I currently live in Del Ray and are considering buying in Belle Haven next year, so I'm trying to get more involved in city politics more, especially around transportation and school issues since they affect us alot (or in the cases of schools, will within a few years...).

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I applied for an absentee ballot since I'll be in Williamsburg Tuesday. If it doesn't appear on Saturday I'll have to see if I can vote in person absentee that afternoon. I give bonus points to Justin Wilson--he once replied to an email I wrote about bike share and trail use with a thoughtful response which actually addressed the points I brought up. And this was on a Saturday.

My husband and I currently live in Del Ray and are considering buying in Belle Haven next year, so I'm trying to get more involved in city politics more, especially around transportation and school issues since they affect us alot (or in the cases of schools, will within a few years...).
    Belle Haven is in Fairfax County, though, not the City of Alexandria.

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure you move into City of Alexandria proper, and not the side of "Alexandria" which is actually in Fairfax County

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Belle Haven is in Fairfax County, though, not the City of Alexandria.
    Really? Half the maps and zillow tells me its alexandria. How confusing.

Post Thanks / Like

Belle Haven, like a huge part of FFX county (even Kingstowne!) has an Alexandria address, because US Postal Service. The City limit is at Cameron Run though. You would be in the Mt Vernon District of FFX, which is having a contested election for the open supervisor seat. My wife knows Dan Storck from FC School Board politics - she approved of him on schools, IIRC, but I think some of the things he has said on transportation were not so good (see the FABB questionnaire) but he does look like Abe Lincoln, so there's that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Belle Haven, like a huge part of FFX county (even Kingstowne!) has an Alexandria address, because US Postal Service. The City limit is at Cameron Run though. You would be in the Mt Vernon District of FFX, which is having a contested election for the open supervisor seat. My wife knows Dan Storck from FC School Board politics - she approved of him on schools, IIRC, but I think some of the things he has said on transportation were not so good (see the FABB questionnaire) but he does look like Abe Lincoln, so there's that.
    ha, good to know I looked it up, how totally confusing. I don't hate fairfax though, so living there wouldn't be the end of the world. Arlington is still my favorite since I loved living there, we just can't afford living in the parts of Arlington we'd like to. Belle Haven is our current top contender because it's on the MVT so I can live "outside the beltway" and pay outside the beltway prices for a house, while still being able to bike to work, and husband can easily drive to his work from there.

We'll see next year though. First gotta pay down the wedding bills...

Post Thanks / Like

In the badlands of Fairfax-side Alexandria, I got this response from Anna Urman, candidate for Delegate:

We cannot improve the bike infrastructure in a vacuum; it has to be part of a comprehensive plan that addresses our roadways, our public transportation system, our bike lanes and sidewalks.

A sound investment strategy that takes into account our current needs as well as projected growth to ensure we can sustain capacity over the next few decades (currently, by the time we finish building a road, it’s almost obsolete from the start). Planning for new developments and construction projects needs to take into account all the ways we’ll get there – whether by car, bike, bus, or metro. Then, instead of trying to create bike paths on roads that weren’t meant for them, we’ll be able to more organically integrate all the different forms of transport into the way our community functions.