Freezing Saddles Important Information
Update 3/7/17: Final Happy Hour Tuesday April 4, details to follow as available.
Update 1/13/17: The leaderboard http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/team_text has been updated with teams. It is your responsibility to join your team. Team Assignments are listed here. http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...am-Assignments Look for your forum name on that thread to find out what team you're on. Then look in the Freezing Saddles subforum located here http://bikearlingtonforum.com/forumd...ng-Competition for the thread with your team number in the title. Read that thread to find a link to your team's new Strava club that your captain created. Join that Strava club.
Update January 1, 2017: GAME ON. Freezing Saddles has begun. We Should Go For A Bike Ride! Leaderboard here
****PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD. **** This is a post to provide a single spot for information regarding Bike Arlington Freezing Saddles (BAFS). I will update this post as needed to keep information current. If you have a question, or think that something needs to be added or changed in this post, PM me please.
Bike Arlington Freezing Saddles 2017 Rules
1) Scoring: You earn 10 points each day that you ride (one mile minimum to count for your daily points-- this is per day, not per ride: two half mile rides gets you your 10 points). You earn an additional one point for every mile.
The team with the most points at the end of the game wins.
2) Game runs 00:00:01am January 1 through 23:59:59 pm March 19 (is that the last day of winter?). All rides starting from January 1 on count. If you are planning to get a super-early start and be out riding your bike as the year changes, be aware that rides starting *before* midnight will not be counted by the leaderboard. You need to stop your recording device and restart a new ride after midnight for your miles in 2017 to count.
3) Trainer rides don’t count. Mark your rides as such or include #NOBAFS in the title to exclude them. Take your bike outside and ride it some distance across the surface of the earth in order to earn points. Manual entries will also not be accepted. This is a change from previous years.
4) Rides made while travelling out of the area do count. On vacation somewhere warm? Lucky you! Find a bike and ride it for some points. Somewhere extra cold? sososorry. Find a bike and ride it for some points!
5) Rides made on E-assist (but not solely electric/motor powered) bikes do count. Also rides made on vaguely bike-like human-powered vehicles. See here: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...-Elf)&p=130138
6) Anyone can award a Pointless Prize for anything. Go check out the thread for what people are offering, and feel free to join in and award something yourself. (these are typically small fun or cute or symbolic things, not high dollar prizes or anything. But whatever you want! No one will probably argue about you throwing money or new bikes at them if you so desire.)
How points are read and tracked by the leaderboard:
a) Data is read from Strava:
Your daily 10 points: You need to ride a minimum of one mile for the day. This does not get rounded up. If strava tells the leaderboard 0.99 miles one day, you do not get 10 points for that day. Be careful of this if you are trying to ride a mile for your 10 points: a) different recording devices/apps may not interpret your distance exactly the same as Strava, and b) Strava records distance to more precision than it displays it, and rounds for the display: Strava will display 0.99 as 1.0 but record 0.99, which will be read by the leaderboard and you won’t get 10 points. Ride until Strava says 1.1 to be sure. Some of us have learned this the hard way during previous years.
Your mileage points: Miles (and their points) are cumulative throughout the competition. 1.5 miles today plus 1.5 miles tomorrow adds up to 3 miles and 3 points.
b) Any rides that extend before the start or after the end of the competition don’t get read. In order to for your ride be counted by the leaderboard app, be sure it doesn’t start before midnight on December 31/January 1 or extend past midnight on March 19/20. Stop your GPS (or crop your ride?) if necessary if you happen to be riding through the cutoff time.
c) While rides need to be *completed* before midnight on the last day to count, there is typically some type of grace period for when they need to be entered in Strava. I’m not sure what that will be this year.
d) The leaderboard will count strava “rides” unless they are marked as “trainer” rides. It will not count any rides with #NOBAFS in the title. It won’t count runs or skiing or other activities that aren’t rides. It will only count rides marked “private” if you checked the box specifically allowing it when authorizing
e) The leaderboard updates itself every hour or so (?) to pull in new rides and completely refreshes sometime each night. It may take some time for a new ride to show up, and if you edit or delete a ride, that change won’t show up on the leaderboard until the next day.
>You ride 9 miles by riding 0.9 miles every day for 10 days. You have 9 points. (Nine mileage points but no daily points because you never rode a full mile in a day).
>You ride 9 miles by riding 3 miles every day for 3 days. You have 39 points. (9 mileage points and 30 points for 3 days of at least a mile).
>You ride 9 miles in one day. You have 19 points. ( 9 points for your nine miles, and 10 points for your day.)
>You ride 9 miles by riding 1 mile every day for 9 days. You have 99 points. (9 points for your nine miles and 90 points for your nine days of 10 points each).
Relevant forum threads
Pointless prize thread here: Let us know what to compete for here Most recent list (as of 1/13 update) with links is here http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...722#post151722
Social and ride calendar Freezing Saddles Official-Ish Calendar Everyone who registered for Freezing Saddles should have received an invite to edit the calendar. Discussion here http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...ddles-Calendar
There is a thread here for people to volunteer for things.
Discussion and poll about a group order of some type of identifying gear going on here.
If you’d like to weigh in on the planning process, discussion thread is here.
Discussion of alternative/extra scoring options: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...coring-systems
Data and tech thread: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...-for-BAFS-2017
Last edited by Amalitza; 03-07-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 14 Likes, 0 Dislikes, 2 ELITE
I know someone who is totally interested and I forgot till now to send him the info...I feel its my fault...can he register late? and how?
Originally Posted by Amalitza
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Likes, 2 Dislikes, 0 ELITE
Any update to add people to teams?
Just wondering if they will be adding people to teams? I'm still riding but not on a team. Thanks!
Some teams are still missing members, and substitutions will likely be made. Sunyata is in charge of that...
Originally Posted by skibumleg
Registration form won't go through
It doesn't seem to like my Strava number, even though it's definitely the right one. Not sure what's up. Here's a screenshot:
Hmm, can you try again? I just put in that exact Strava number, and it went through fine. I'm wondering whether maybe you put in a space at the beginning or end of the number that caused the problem.
Originally Posted by sammyiam
Originally Posted by sammyiam
Originally Posted by cvcalhoun
Looks like you need a BAFS Technical support thread as well :P
Originally Posted by hozn