Thread: Burley Travoy - reviews anyone?

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Burley Travoy - reviews anyone?

Although I've managed to carry quite a bit of stuff in my panniers and a backpack--I even managed to bring my unicycle home on my rack--I've been considering an "urban" trailer for awkward and bigger loads.

Does anyone have experience with the Burley Travoy?
    http://www.rei.com/product/807561/bu...n-bike-trailer

Post Thanks / Like

I had considered that, but it seems inflexible for, say, multiple grocery bags, because of the vertical loading.

I ended up getting this: http://quik-pak.com/

It's wonderful - the hitch is a ball hitch thing, which is super convenient. And it was totally grand for schlepping 60 lbs of goods from Costco.

3. Likes Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had considered that, but it seems inflexible for, say, multiple grocery bags, because of the vertical loading.

I ended up getting this: http://quik-pak.com/

It's wonderful - the hitch is a ball hitch thing, which is super convenient. And it was totally grand for schlepping 60 lbs of goods from Costco.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one. If you want to see it, that can probably be coordinated somehow.

The negatives: It's expensive. You probably already know that. I'm not sure it actually holds any more, in total volume, than my ortliebs (as a pair). Now, if want you want to carry is one large bulky item (a tuba? a coffee table?) that would be difficult to manage in panniers it will work much better. You do have a lot more flexibility in terms of size and shape of the items. I also prefer it for heavier loads because to me it affects the handling of the bike a lot less than having the weight in panniers on the bike. But if you're just looking to bring home more groceries than will physically fit in a pair of large panniers, it may not accomplish that.

The positives: It is a very well thought out design for what it does do. It's incredibly nimble and easy to handle both on and off the bike. It's narrow enough to fit through any door (so you can just roll your full load of groceries right into your kitchen to unload them), or to be able to lock your bike to a street sign without blocking the sidewalk. It goes on and off the bike in literally a couple seconds. (for real literally, not fake literally when people say that but actually mean figuratively) It takes maybe 30 seconds to fold it up to slide-under-the-furniture-for-storage size. If you have stairs to get into your house, it's a lot easier to get your load up the stairs on the travoy than trying to get your bike with loaded panniers up them, or even unloading it and carrying your stuff up. Which makes sense-- it's basically a fancy hand truck with a bike hitch and bag attachments so it's really good at moving things around.

Possible negatives for specific bike set-ups: it attaches to your seat post and the instructions say(if you care what the instructions say) you shouldn't use it with a carbon seat post. If you are a short person who also has a rear rack on your bike (that you don't want to take off to use the travoy) you may not have enough clearance for it. The first time I used it, I hooked it up to my bike, rode off to the farmer's market, everything was fine. Empty. Then I put stuff in it and rode home. The extra weight pulled the top arm of the travoy down enough that the travoy would rub against the corners of my rear rack going around corners. I raised the seat a bit to get it home without further problems, but not really my preferred seat position. They do make an attachment piece (sold separately) that will let you attach to your rack instead of your seat post. Again, this is a short person problem only-- it was barely a problem for me, and I'm 5'1".

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amalitza View Post
    I have one. If you want to see it, that can probably be coordinated somehow.
    That would be great! Thanks for the in-depth review. Literally.
    It's not urgent, so I'll PM you at some point to work out a convenient time to come check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you still like yours, Amalitza?

Did you ever get one, Steve O (Oh Oh Oh Oh-Oh, Oh Oh Oh Oh, the right stuff!)?

I'm considering one. I've read some reviews and watched some vids. The negatives I've read is that some loads end up rubbing the inside plane of the wheels (remedied with their wheel guards), and tipping over if object is too heavy, not packed properly, or used inappropriately.

Some more Qs:
    • What's the farthest you've gone with yours?
    • Have you bought any other accessories for the Travoy, and was it worth it?

Among other uses, I want something that I can use to carry groceries for a few miles on my Brompton, my fat bike, and my wife's petite bike, and this seems to fit the bill nicely.

8. ELITE Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post

(Oh Oh Oh Oh-Oh, Oh Oh Oh Oh, the right stuff!)
    Damn you!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=drevil;159768]Do you still like yours, Amalitza?

Did you ever get one, Steve O (Oh Oh Oh Oh-Oh, Oh Oh Oh Oh, the right stuff!)?

QUOTE]

Elited for the New Kids on the Block reference.

You got the right stuff, Ricky!

Post Thanks / Like

Steve O is NKOTB and not Stevo from SLC Punk? I'm disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

I do still like mine.

I've experienced the load rubbing the tire issue, and learned to be careful snugging up the lower bag with a load. I wasn't aware of the wheel guards so clearly it hasn't bothered me enough to go looking for a solution. This does bring up a point not mentioned in my original post-- since the width is fairly narrow and the "floor" of the trailer fits in between the wheels, if you want to carry something even moderately wide you need to secure it in a way that it is held up above the wheels. I have not experienced a tipping over problem. I also have not taken it down hill off road.

The farthest I remember taking it is about 10 miles round trip, with a load both ways. I took a bunch of superfluous bike stuff to Velocity, and brought some rollers home with me (see above about creatively attaching wider items to trailer). (we shall not discuss how much the rollers have actually been used). I think it would be fine for longer trips. I just haven't needed/wanted to carry stuff on the bike farther than that. If I were to go bikepacking on pavement, or even some easy off-pavement like the C&O, I'd probably take the Travoy rather than panniers (this is pure theory, I haven't actually tested it on the C&O).

I have not bought any accessories, but I already owned a Topeak rear basket that I didn't much like for its intended purpose (put the weight of what I was carrying too high up on the bike for my handling comfort) hanging around in a spare room. I attached that basket to the upper connection points (with the straps that came with the travoy), just using something I already had instead of getting their upper bag. It's definitely worth having a second basket/bag to attach to the top for grocery shopping, whether that is their upper market bag or some other bag.

Let me know if you want to see it.
    Last edited by Amalitza; 05-09-2017 at 01:24 PM.