Thread: Maryland bike projects announced: bikeshare in Wheaton

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maryland bike projects announced: bikeshare in Wheaton

I read that Maryland announced funding for various bike infrastructure projects. Most of the larger projects are in Baltimore or other areas in Maryland, not in the immediate DC suburbs, except for the line item about bikeshare in and around the Wheaton Metro station.

http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/News/1%...09.29.2015.pdf

The list states that a 10-station bikeshare network will be added to the Wheaton business district and the Wheaton Metro station. No timeline announced. I assume it will be part of Capital Bikeshare, but College Park has been looking into non-CaBi/Motivate bikeshare systems.

I never travel out to Wheaton so it won't affect me personally. I think bikeshare expansion is good in general. I'm not familiar with the general bike infrastructure in Wheaton, so I have no idea if the area is hospitable to cyclists or not. I hope it is. If not, I hope they improve the transportation infrastructure in coordination with the bikeshare expansion.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheaton in general is not terribly bike friendly. The major thoroughfares are 4-6 lane, narrow, high volume roads without shoulders and with posted speeds of 30-35 mph. Most users are likely to stay on the sidewalk, which poses its own risks from the profusion of curb cuts.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Wheaton bike stations are expected to be installed by the end of 2016.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...s-getting.html

Was there a lot of demand for bikeshare in Wheaton? This is the first I've heard of it. (However, I don't follow Montgomery Co. developments as closely as I follow ARL and DC news.)