Likes Likes:  85
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2015 Road and Trail Conditions

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Default October 2015 Road and Trail Conditions

Starting the tread a day early. Here in Kyiv one additional hazard are the buckeyes (horse chestnuts). A very popular tree lining many streets, but they fall on your head (a good reason to wear a helmet ) and their debris on the roads is like hitting slick patches of gravel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    their debris on the roads is like hitting slick patches of gravel.
    I forget exactly where I was yesterday, somewhere on the MCT, where there was a patch of big green walnuts on the trail. A rider in front of me hit one with his back tire and side skidded, while the thing got spit off into the grass. Too many of those would be a serious hazard.

It's also paw paw season. The correct protocol for finding those is to stop and eat 'em, they're delicious. But I've only seen them on wooded hiking trails.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Starting the tread a day early. Here in Kyiv one additional hazard are the buckeyes (horse chestnuts). A very popular tree lining many streets, but they fall on your head (a good reason to wear a helmet ) and their debris on the roads is like hitting slick patches of gravel.
    Hey, that's more than a day early!

...and is that an Xmas advertisement I just saw*?!

* - the day WILL happen that Christmas advertisements start before the end of September, and that will be the sign of the Apocalypse

Post Thanks / Like

Large tree down across the Capitol Crescent about 2/3 mile south of the District line. Totally blocks the trail, which is why I suspect it will get cleared today.

Post Thanks / Like

MVT along the airport south of Crystal City spur.

Does anyone know what's going on with the 3 detours that are being set up there?? I was appalled to see that they're lining the detours with wood chips! That's going to be terrible for skinny tired bikes to ride on. I think I'll just get on at Crystal City instead.

Any info on when they're making the closures and for how long would be very much appreciated.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

There have been some posts on the September trail conditions thread. I thought there was another thread about the project (renovation work on the Airport Connector Road/bridge and the MVT under the bridge) but I can't find it now.

ARLnow posted about the project, a month ago:

https://www.arlnow.com/2015/09/09/la...access-bridge/

Arlington long-term traffic alert:
    http://transportation.arlingtonva.us...raffic-alerts/

George Washington Memorial Parkway Bridge Connecting Crystal City and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport

The National Park Service and the Federal Highway Administration will perform maintenance and safety improvements to two bridges that connect Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport to the George Washington Memorial Parkway. During the approximately nine month project, significant work will be performed on the Route 233 bridge, which connects Crystal City to the airport and the southbound Parkway ramp from the airport. Drivers should expect lane closures and detours as the work is performed.

- Single lane closures will begin on September 10 and 11 from 9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. on the Route 233 bridge.
    - At least one lane will remain open to traffic on the Route 233 bridge and on the ramp from the airport to the Parkway, except during one weekend of construction.

The Park Service and Federal Highway Administration bridge construction project will allow for better access to and from the airport and add safety improvements to sidewalks and trails for pedestrians.

Expect at least some construction work to continue in that area as late as next summer. I'm not sure how long the detour will be necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    MVT along the airport south of Crystal City spur.

Does anyone know what's going on with the 3 detours that are being set up there?? I was appalled to see that they're lining the detours with wood chips! That's going to be terrible for skinny tired bikes to ride on. I think I'll just get on at Crystal City instead.

Any info on when they're making the closures and for how long would be very much appreciated.
    dbb started warning us about this beginning of September:
    http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...249#post123249

Yes, in related discussion, routes through Crystal City were suggested as alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the section of Gallows by the Dunn Loring metro is almost completely repaved: just one short piece remains (from Prosperity to the bridge over 66).

And changing locations, have the eastbound moguls by the bridge to nowhere gotten deeper in the three or four weeks I've been off commuting?

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody know the status of Hain's Pt? Open, underwater??

I'm hoping that if I get out of work in time I can do some laps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    And changing locations, have the eastbound moguls by the bridge to nowhere gotten deeper in the three or four weeks I've been off commuting?
    Ugh, it's like riding a bucking bronco. I vote that segment of trail the most in need of maintenance.