Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any reason not to ride RCP at night?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I agree that incidents on the trail are statistically rare. I just wanted to remind you of the incidents on Custis around Ballston about a year(? 2?) ago.
    If I recall, those were daylight incidents, not nighttime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    I haven't ridden it since earlier this summer though so maybe they've finally repaved/reoriented parts of it.
    Hah! Actually, Washcycle occasionally posts an update on the "progress" of that, along with photos of the rather alarming conditions at points, such as where Rock Creek has undercut the trail and created a several foot dropoff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Hah! Actually, Washcycle occasionally posts an update on the "progress" of that, along with photos of the rather alarming conditions at points, such as where Rock Creek has undercut the trail and created a several foot dropoff.
    Point taken. Being NPS, my optimism is probably misplaced. So I'll just continue my route and not go that way or take the actual road when I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not really if your prepared

I have commuted on this trail year round since the late 80's. Years ago in the 1990's there was some crazy attacking folks with an Ice pick. I believe he was caught and I haven't heard anything since then. the real danger is large number of runners who feel it is appropriate to run in the dark wearing all black. Make sure you have a really good light to illuminate this. I also recommend a helmet mounted bright light. It has two good uses. One, if you are nervous, shinning it in someone eyes usually stops them in there tracks long enough for you to put some distance between you and them. Two, there are numerous places where the trail crosses an on or off ramp. Shining the light into the drivers eyes will surely get their attention.