Likes Likes:  465
Dislikes Dislikes:  13
ELITE ELITE:  20
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Midnight Saddles

Post Thanks / Like

I had a thoroughly good (and sometimes wet) time! It was really nice to enjoy one of my favorite things to do when I lived here which was to bike around DC at night. The city has a different vibe at night, and the monuments and rivers become quite serene to me. Thank you for a wonderful ride!

Here are some of the pics I took during the ride:

The trio of us, Steveo's interesting wheel spoking, riding around Hains Point, looking down at the Wharf from the Case Bridge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midnightSaddles_1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	20017

Showing my team's colors outside Audi Field (home of DC United), enjoying the concrete islands on part of the 2-way PBL next to Audi Field, This ride was brought to you by the letter "R", and a pano of a photo installation on Good Hope Rd underneath the Anacostia Freeway from a boat cruise on the Anacostia River

Name:	midnightSaddles_2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	20018

We stopped to reflect at the ghost bike for Dave

Name:	midnightSaddles_3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	20019

Stopping for pizza at Wise Guys, my delicious chicken parm and meatlover's slices, passing by the White House (haven't done it in 6 months), and the "Lightweave" art installation on L St NE

Name:	midnightSaddles_4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	20020

Post Thanks / Like

Great ride. I'd never ridden along the Anacostia before, or on most of these trails and roads. The city looks different at night, and when you are sleepy. Wise Guys has great pizza - or does it just seem so at 1:30 a.m.? Thanks to Steve O for leading.

3. Likes Steve O, ChristoB50, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Steveo's interesting wheel spoking...
    That wheel looks like SteveO wanted to use the same spokes when he converted from a standard hub to the dynamo hub and had to figure out what to do with the extra length to keep from destroying tubes.
    Last edited by bentbike33; 04-29-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    That wheel looks like SteveO wanted to use the same spokes when he converted from a standard hub to the dynamo hub and had to figure out what to do with the extra length to keep from destroying tubes.
    Why let a perfectly good spoke go to waste?

Actually, I now know the backstory on why Phuoc (Bike Club) builds wheels like this. Ask me at coffee club sometime.

6. Likes Starduster, bentbike33, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Actually, I now know the backstory on why Phuoc (Bike Club) builds wheels like this. Ask me at coffee club sometime.
    Back in the day, I worked with Phuoc at The Bicycle Exchange. So I *will* ask you about the story...

8. Likes Judd, bobco85 liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Back in the day, I worked with Phuoc at The Bicycle Exchange. So I *will* ask you about the story...
    I do not believe I have ever seen you at coffee club, however.

Post Thanks / Like

My career simply does not allow me any riding time during the week. So coffee club is nearly impossible for me. Sorry,all. It is what it is until I retire.
    Last edited by Starduster; 05-04-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Midnight Saddles - Spring 2019 Video

As per usual, it took a couple of weeks, but I managed to finish my video for the spring 2019 edition of Midnight Saddles.

I had a hard time dealing with the darkness (it was night, so it was expected) in the footage, so there may be some wonkyness in the coloration of the footage, but I tried to make sure everything got in there, raindrops and all.

Also, since we took a moment of silence at Dave's ghost bike during the ride, I made sure to put that in the video. I hope it was respectful.

12. Likes bikesnick, Steve O, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Summer Midnight Saddles - Saturday, July 20

Yes, it's the much anticipated summertime Midnight Saddles ride. The one when it's nice and warm and there's a cool summer vibe in the middle of the night in the big city. Don't miss it!!

NEW!! IMPROVED!!!

Now coordinated with the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum's special Washington Monument "Go for the Moon" show.

Date: Saturday, July 20
    Special Pre-Ride event: Show up between 10:00 and 10:25 pm to view the 10:30 pm showing of the "Go for the Moon" show.
    Or show up even earlier and enjoy the exhibits at the Air & Space Museum, which will be open until 2am (Complete schedule of events here)
    Viewing location: On the National Mall between 9th and 12th Streets

Post-show ride start location: Hirshhorn Museum, Mall side (hill.jolly.slows). Proceed to ride meetup location after the show ends.
    Rollout Time: 10:56:15 PM
    Ride Route: https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2598040255
    After midnight eatery: DC Cafe - Dupont Circle

For those who have never gone on a Midnight Saddles ride, it's a fun, social ride.
    We ride together as a group at a moderate pace with occasional stops to take photos or otherwise take in something interesting. We always end at a late-night eatery where we share food, drink and company.
    They are usually 15-20 miles and end at the eatery between midnight and 1 am. (If you are new to Midnight Saddles, scroll back through this thread to learn more)

All are welcome to join the ride. If you are concerned about getting home afterward, we will make sure at least one person accompanies you, even if that has to be me.

Name:	go for the moon.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	20235
    Last edited by Steve O; 07-16-2019 at 09:13 AM. Reason: New! Improved!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Yes, it's the much anticipated summertime Midnight Saddles ride. The one when it's nice and warm and there's a cool summer vibe in the middle of the night in the big city. Don't miss it!!

Date: Saturday, July 20
    GAH. Why do you always schedule these when I am going to be out of town?!