Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggested Rides

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rootchopper View Post
    Liz

Have you tried the Indian Head trail in Indian Head MD? I think it's about 32 miles out and back. Paved the entire way. Not much in the way of services.
    Yes, we did! I posted a summary on a separate thread. We have to try more of these suggestions as the weather is getting nicer now.

Wow, that Crystal Ride sounds crazy! And frightening. To me, riding with cyclists of such varied speed and skill would be more frightening that riding in rush hour auto traffic. Will check the calendar and come down to watch, if possible.

Liz

consularrider is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

More on the Crystal Ride, I got an email from the event organizers last night and the pertinent part is:

"...On Sunday, June 10th, in partnership with the Crystal City Business improvement District (BID) cycling enthusiasts of all abilities will be able to ride in the Air Force Cycling Classic's Crystal Ride. Cyclists can enjoy the car-free 15km course for up to 3 hours. The course takes riders past the Air Force Memorial, the Pentagon and through Crystal City. Following this non-competitive ride, professionals will again entertain the region for a second day. Races move to Crystal City for the 6th year, showcasing the vibrant shops and restaurants of Crystal City. Saturday and Sunday's races will again be part of the prestigious USA Cycling's National Criterium Calendar.

Participants in the Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride will again be able to earn a gold medal by completing six laps in less than 3 hours. This year's course has been lengthened over previous editions. A silver medal is earned by riding four laps, and a bronze for two laps in that timeframe. Registration for the Crystal Ride is now open through the events website: www.AirForceCyclingClassic.com..."

They also have a course map now.

Note that the course length has increased from 12.5 to 15 km, so riders wanting a bronze (30 vs 25 km) or silver (60 vs 50 km) medal will have to ride a little further while gold medal riders will ride slightly less (90 vs 100 km).

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice, I recently registered for this year's Crystal Ride... maybe I'll have a chance at a gold! It's just a bit over 16mph average speed (although yes I would like to stop to eat/drink). It'll be my second big organized ride (I did the Backroads Century last year). I also signed up for the CASA River ride as that sounded interesting.