Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arlington BAC Meeting - June 1st

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arlington BAC Meeting - June 1st

Just a quick reminder that the next Arlington BAC meeting will occur on Monday, June 1st. Everyone is welcome.

The meetings are held at Court House Plaza, 2100 Clarendon Blvd. on the 3rd floor beginning at 7:00 PM.

Lt. Dennis from the Arlington County Policy Department will be at the June meeting. He will be updating the BAC on the following:
    1. Bicycle Collision Reports - Types of Information Collected
    2. Citations Issued to Bicyclists After a Collision
    3. Enforcement of Cars Using Bike Lanes for Right Turns

More detailed agenda will be posted soon.

Thanks!

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Megabeth View Post
    3. Enforcement of Cars Using Bike Lanes for Right Turns
    I would hope you mean that right-turning cars should use the bike lane after a careful merge. Right turns should be made as close to the curb as practicable. Turning right across a bike lane means that a driver needs to simultaneously look behind and scan for pedestrians in the crosswalk. Turning right across bike lanes rather than in the bike lanes leads to potential right hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. The proper procedure is for the car to cross into the bike lane where the leftmost line goes from solid to dashed. When a car follows this procedure, it lets me know his/her intentions, allows me to slow behind the car or safely pass it on the left, and keeps the car from right-hooking me.

Post Thanks / Like

No, no, no. If the bike lane has a solid line at the intersection, it is unsafe for both cyclists and other drivers to use the bike lane as a right turn lane. Plus, it is a bike lane, not a right turn lane. If a right turn lane is needed at an intersection, then it should be formally created in accordance with the applicable standards, etc. If a right turn does not exists, it should not be created by allowing drivers to squeeze one in where they think it should be.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would daresay that a bike lane with a solid line at an intersection is mismarked.

If this were the meaning of solid lines for bike lanes, than parking to the right of bike lanes would be inaccessible.

http://www.thewashcycle.com/2010/07/...ing-right.html
    Last edited by DismalScientist; 05-29-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RideTheWomble View Post
    Agreed. The proper procedure is for the car to cross into the bike lane where the leftmost line goes from solid to dashed. When a car follows this procedure, it lets me know his/her intentions, allows me to slow behind the car or safely pass it on the left, and keeps the car from right-hooking me.
    Using the turn signal also helps to know the driver's intention.

If only.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    I would daresay that a bike lane with a solid line at an intersection is mismarked.

If this were the meaning of solid lines for bike lanes, than parking to the right of bike lanes would be inaccessible.

http://www.thewashcycle.com/2010/07/...ing-right.html
    At least on Eye Street in DC, the lane is striped solid mid block, dashed for a few car lengths before the intersection, and solid for the last car length at the intersection. This is supposed to tell drivers that the place to enter the right lane to make a right turn is in the dashed part - not before it (because that would render the lane useless), and not after it (because then they would be right hooking across the bike lane) They are supposed to fit neatly to the right of the bike lane by the time they approach the crosswalk. I would say this works out as intented about 99% of the time.

Of course as this is a door zone bike lane, they must cross the solid mid block stripe in order to park - but that is a different movement than entering the lane to make a right turn. Similarly they may enter the bike lane at any point to avoid a collision, IIUC - and if there are no bikes present, they may even enter it simply to have more room from opposing traffic (or maybe that is Va law and NOT DC law, I do not recall for sure)

It may well be that this is all too confusing for some motorists, but again, it seems to work well on Eye Street, and most other places that I have observed.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what Virginia law says:

46.2-846. Required position and method of turning at intersections; local regulations.

A. Except where turning is prohibited, a driver intending to turn at an intersection or other location on any highway shall execute the turn as provided in this section.

1. Right turns: Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway.

Seems to me that the question is whether the edge of the roadway is the solid line between the bike lane and the rest of the road. If it isn't the edge of the road, then what is the point of having a bike lane? I also do not see what the policy reason is to allow a car to use a bike lane as an impromptu right hand turn lane other than to appease drivers' desire to not let anything slow down their progress. After all, if you want to make a right hand turn, having to wait because the car in front of you is going straight or making a left is so inconvenient. Regarding right hooking, the solution is to require drivers to follow the law, make a complete stop at the intersection, make sure there is no crossing car or pedestrian traffic and looking to your right to make the bike lane is clear. Not hard, just requires attentive, responsible driving.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Not hard, just requires attentive, responsible driving.
    There is no freaking way I am going to depend on this. There is also almost no way I am going to pass a car on the right that I believe is planning to turn right--even if I believe them to be attentive and responsible. I will always move out into the lane behind the car and let them turn. If they end up going straight, then I just slide back over. If they do turn right, then they are more comfortable that I am not on their right, creating a conflict, and I am way more comfortable knowing that I am not going to get run down.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    I also do not see what the policy reason is to allow a car to use a bike lane as an impromptu right hand turn lane other than to appease drivers' desire to not let anything slow down their progress. After all, if you want to make a right hand turn, having to wait because the car in front of you is going straight or making a left is so inconvenient. Regarding right hooking, the solution is to require drivers to follow the law, make a complete stop at the intersection, make sure there is no crossing car or pedestrian traffic and looking to your right to make the bike lane is clear. Not hard, just requires attentive, responsible driving.
    So this is where your understanding (cars turn right from main travel lane) and mine (cars turn right after safely merging into the bike lane) differ. A bike lane isn't wide enough for a car to slide up to the right of another car. So a car shouldn't merge into the bike lane into basically one car length before the intersection, and then should merge over to turn only if there's no bike coming. Then the driver can look for pedestrians, without having to also look over their shoulder for bikes. A bike coming up behind a car that has already merged into the bike lane should merge and go around the car to the left.

Va law was written before va had bike lanes so isn't helpful