Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying New Road Bike, Looking for Assistance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying New Road Bike, Looking for Assistance

Looking to buy a road bike, I've been riding a mountain for years but now that I'm getting more serious and beginning to train for triathlons, need a bike to match. So far in my search I have found the best looking deals on craigslist, as I am looking to spend in the neighborhood of $500. One offer I came across, a Cadillac RLE 1.8 for $475 seems to be a pretty good deal, and from ym research the model looks to include relatively good components, be lightweight, and aside from a fairly gaudy Cadillac branding from head to toe, fit my bill. If anyone can offer me input on this bike, or suggest ways to refine my search, I would be most appreciative.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi TDB,

There are a lot of posting on this forum about bike recommendation but I wouldn't recommend you buy a bike from car company name.

Good Luck,
    Rick
    Last edited by RESTONTODC; 06-28-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing really wrong with it (other than high price!) if you realize that you're not buying a bike that you'll ever resell easily, and parts for it (9 sp 105 ) may be harder and harder to get. If you like the bike and it fits well you could do worse. I'd not pay that asking price though... More like $250-$300 if in really good shape and it indeed has 105 components. If the seller tries to use that as a bargaining point be sure to point out it's 9 speed, and 105 has been at 10 speed for a while.

RestontoDC is right that a good rule of thumb is it's not usually good to buy a bike named after a car. At the price point you're looking at there's a lot of good older bikes on Craigslist so I wouldn't limit your search.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing has since been sold, so theres that too. Newest potentials are

vintage Atala Italian 12spd - Columbus lugged, Shimano 105 - $400
    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...464479439.html

and

Vilano FORZA 3.0 Aluminum Carbon Road Bike Shimano Sora
    http://www.amazon.com/Vilano-FORZA-A...f=pd_sbs_sg_21

Post Thanks / Like

oh, and i forgot to include

Scott Flatbar Speedster
    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...460656003.html

why are there so many. cruel cruel capitalism

Post Thanks / Like

TDB,

I saw the size of Cadillac RLE on CL is 58 and vintage Atala Italian is 53. Do you know your bike size If you don't, I would recommend you visit the local bike shop to figure it out. You don't have to buy it from them. You will learn a lot by visiting many bike shops. Buying from CL requires some knowledge about bike.

Post Thanks / Like

I always recommend riding a bike before buying it, so that would rule out the Amazon bike. Both of the Craigslist bikes look interesting. If it was me, I would refine my search for used bikes by focusing on bikes I could go see (and ride) easily. One of the Craigslist bikes is in Alexandria, one is in Dupont Circle. One is probably closer to you than the other.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to figure out what type of bike you want, flat bar vs. drop bar, then figure out what size you need. Why not rent a road bike for a day or two, see if it's really for you before you spend the money to buy one. You may find what you really want is different from what you thought. And even if you confirm that you want X or Y, then you'll have a better idea what size.

Post Thanks / Like

how much of a hassle / cost is it to change a flatbar to drop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TDB View Post
    how much of a hassle / cost is it to change a flatbar to drop
    Hassle depends on how mechanically inclined you are - it's not difficult but it can be a little fiddly getting your derailers adjusted right once you've run the cables.

Cost is a different matter - you need new bars, shifters, brake levers (one and the same if you're changing to drops), cable housing... If you can do it under $250 you're doing well, unless you want to go with downtube or bar-end shifters.

It's much easier to figure out what you want and buy the right bike.