Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22 new bike lanes in 2015

Amalitza Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    So, interestingly, VDOT plowed the bike lane from Beacon Hill Rd and Quander heading west toward Rt 1, yet left the portion going uphill from Ft. Hunt unplowed. Not sure if I should say something like "thanks, but really the part that would be most helpful is plowing the uphill stretch" or not?
    They didn't plow it. It melted. I've been watching it incrementally shrink all week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amalitza View Post
    They didn't plow it. It melted. I've been watching it incrementally shrink all week.
    Think we can ever get them to use a streetsweeper on it? I did a VDOT item submission a few weeks back, but nothing. So the only way I get the crap out of the lane is to literally drive my tire over it when I know I can go slow and have a clear sight-line, but that's really not a viable long-term solution.

Plus side, I've had very few issues of people coming remotely close to me in that stretch since the installation (save the little spot right by library entrance where it ends).

Post Thanks / Like

I can only speak about Franconia since I live just off of it. I've only used the lane once, for about 100 yards in order to avoid a pedestrian on the sidewalk. That road is so fast and dangerous that I just don't trust a painted line to feel safe. I drive it more than I ride it and constantly observe motor vehicles crossing that line. Scary. So I avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

To VDOT's credit, I observed the street sweeper doing the Beacon Hill bike lane. I wrote in about it a few weeks ago after I hit a rock on uphill. Never thought they would actually do it. So I am pleasantly surprised

Post Thanks / Like

To VDOT's credit, I observed the street sweeper doing the Beacon Hill bike lane. I wrote in about it a few weeks ago after I hit a rock on uphill. Never thought they would actually do it. So I am pleasantly surprised
    I'm sure that guy will be disciplined when they find out about it in Richmond.

Amalitza Guest

Saw him too. Nice.