Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CaBi van in bike lane while balancing

West Springfield, commute to downtown D.C.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CaBi van in bike lane while balancing

Does CaBi have policy on where it's vans park? I find this ironic.

I also wonder if others have seen this elsewhere. (This is the standard procedure at Thomas Circle, pictured below from two different angles.)

I don't have a solution for this either. I'm guessing that parking on the sidewalk is a no-no despite there being PLENTY of room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150519_112552.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	8657

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150519_113001.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	8658
    Last edited by DanB; 05-19-2015 at 12:06 PM.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, they are technically moving bikes in and out of the lane. Given how irate drivers would be if they took up a car lane, I give CaBi a pass on this, esp in an area as tough as Thomas Circle.

Post Thanks / Like

I've complained to them before about this exact spot - they blew it off as being the only feasible spot, which I don't buy.

On the bright side, taking the lane there saves you from the daily attempts at right hooks. My favorite is the far left lane right hook without even looking. That's extra-special.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen them blocking bike lanes multiple times and in multiple places. When I worked at the Ronald Reagan Building, one of their vans spatially conspired with motorcycles to prevent me from getting my bike out of the rack at the corner of D and 14th NW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    On the bright side, taking the lane there saves you from the daily attempts at right hooks. My favorite is the far left lane right hook without even looking. That's extra-special.
    I've only ridden through Thomas Circle a few times, but I've taken the lane every time. If someone still tries to right-hook you (from the left lane), you at least have more time to react.

Post Thanks / Like

The EPA employee shuttle habitually blocks the bike lane at Potomac Ave. and Crystal Dr. in Arlington. They've even placed a claim on the bike lane area by putting an official sign for a stop there, for Pete's sake. CaBi isn't the only head-scratcher of a bike-lane-blocker around here.
    Last edited by RideTheWomble; 05-20-2015 at 06:44 AM.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

If there were no bike lane, they'd be blocking a lane of traffic. It seems to me that vehicles like that have to go to the curb, and block whatever lane, car or bike, that's next to the curb. It's ironic in this case though, yeah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I've complained to them before about this exact spot - they blew it off as being the only feasible spot, which I don't buy.
    Do you have a suggestion for a better spot that is still within easy reach of the racks they are servicing?

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm OK with this if there is no nearby alternative. The vans shouldn't be driving onto the sidewalks.

Maybe they could park on Highland Terrace: https://goo.gl/maps/RU1Iz

But the staff members would have to cross the Massachusetts Ave. lanes multiple times, while pushing heavy CaBi bikes. There will be speeding drivers and drivers who take aggressive right turns off the circle without even looking. (This happens almost everywhere.) Over the course of a year, I'd have to think that risk of injury would be significantly higher for those employees if they are parking the van on Highland Terrace a few times a day during rush hour and pushing heavy bikes across those lanes.

Even if the van was allowed to drive onto the sidewalk, would it be possible? The van driver would have to turn onto Mass. Ave. briefly before making a hard left onto the sidewalk. There may not be enough space to do that. The other option is to drive directly from Thomas Circle onto the sidewalk, but that would also be awkward, with the curb and the lack of room to maneuver the van into place.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

M Street would be another option. But first they would have to find a parking space or two. I don't think the van would fit into just a single parking space.

https://goo.gl/maps/FP1Ne

Then the employees would have to cross both M Street and a lane of Mass. Ave. The safety issue pops up again. Plus this would slow the process quite a bit. When they have multiple stops during the morning rush hour, adding all this extra time at several locations could hamper rebalancing quite a bit.