Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB: Surly Cross Check Frame

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I would just observe that the bike categories seems to delineate by the intended marketing campaign of the bike
    FTFY. I'll believe they're designed for racing when I start seeing racers with rear racks and panniers and full fenders. Most of those bikes will be sold to people who have never even been on a gravel road (the towpath or any other crushed stone MUP does *not* count for this purpose). But sex sells, and I guess an improbable race is a better thing to put at the top of your web page than a dumpy middle aged guy on his way to work.

Post Thanks / Like

@dkel has a Straggler and can't stop gushing about it.
    In my defense, I only gush about it when people ask me about it. (I'm not totally insufferable!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I'll believe they're designed for racing when I start seeing racers with rear racks and panniers and full fenders.
    I was told if I wanted to do a CX race on my bike, the other racers would appreciate it if I took off the racks and fenders. Go figure.

Most of those bikes will be sold to people who have never even been on a gravel road (the towpath or any other crushed stone MUP does *not* count for this purpose).
    Or on a "fire road" (another popular term for the category). I've also started seeing "adventure bike" as well as "monster cross." They're all the same: drop bars, only slightly racy geometry, room for wide tires (in the 40 range), yada yada.

But sex sells, and I guess an improbable race is a better thing to put at the top of your web page than a dumpy middle aged guy on his way to work.
    Wait--have you been following me?

(I'm probably not dumpy. I just wanted to use that joke.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IlPirata View Post
    Looking for Cross Check frame in 54 cm to build up commuting machine.
    I've been looking for the same. Hard to find a good deal on one for the past couple months. There was a 48cm Cross Check on the DC bike marketplace a few weeks ago. There's also a big Bike Swap in DC on Sunday, where you may be able to find stuff.

You may also look at Nashbar to get a frame too. Sethpo on here built up a disc commuter from a frame off there. I've pondered the same off and on.

Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Default DC Used Bike Markethouse

Pantani, you should check out the DC Used Bicycle Marketplace facebook group; they come up form time to time (and I swear there was a 54cm recently?). But in general, that's a bad choice: no disc brakes. ;-)
    Are you talking about Bike House? I went to their facebook site but could not find where they list things for sale. Thanks.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It is the "DC Used Bicycle Marketplace" FB group. You may have to be invited? (It is not an open group, but there are thousands of members.)

Post Thanks / Like

A Soma Double Cross is another option. I have one, unfortunately not for sale, and really like it. I was looking for a cyclocross/commuter and stumbled across it. It appears very similar to the Cross Check, but tad more affordable. Although it is primarily my crappy day commuter, I have used it for all my cyclecrosss races and gravel grinders. In fact, the double cross and cross check are pretty common for the cat 4 races, and truthfully the last gravel grinder I was on a double cross was there. You will not be out of place on a Cross Check on a a cat 4. Also, when I was having trouble with my road bike, it was used for many of my training rides without skipping a beat. Stripped down, it will hold its own on the group ride. A totally different geometry than a road bike, but after a few days your back, neck and shoulders will quit whinning. Heck, I think this winter it was also used for 75% of my trainer riding. So, essentially it makes a good do-anything bike. If you are getting into cross, it will make a great first option that will make an excellent daily commuter if you get into it more.
    Last edited by Jason B; 05-17-2015 at 06:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phatboing View Post
    If you're looking for a commuting machine at low cost, Planet X and On-one make some pretty decent frames at very excellent prices: http://www.planet-x-usa.com/i/q/FRPX...ack-2-frameset
    Holy crap! Forget what I wrote above and buy this. Yea, the coffee color is painful to look at, but for $200, who cares. I have a Planet X road bike that I have been using for years. Although, price out building up a disc bike before you take the plunge, for a lot of your used parts ain't gonna cut it.
    Someone more knowledgable than me can chime in about the added disc build up cost, and even going used parts is feasible.
    Last edited by Jason B; 05-17-2015 at 07:49 AM.