Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Surly Cross Check Frame

Post Thanks / Like

Default WTB: Surly Cross Check Frame

Looking for Cross Check frame in 54 cm to build up commuting machine.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Pantani, you should check out the DC Used Bicycle Marketplace facebook group; they come up form time to time (and I swear there was a 54cm recently?). But in general, that's a bad choice: no disc brakes. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Pantani, you should check out the DC Used Bicycle Marketplace facebook group; they come up form time to time (and I swear there was a 54cm recently?). But in general, that's a bad choice: no disc brakes. ;-)
    The Straggler is enticing, but a new frame is $600 vs. $480 for Cross Check. Not sue what justifies the price differential, other than the purple sparkle awesomeness of the Straggler. I will check out that group. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IlPirata View Post
    The Straggler is enticing, but a new frame is $600 vs. $480 for Cross Check. Not sue what justifies the price differential, other than the purple sparkle awesomeness of the Straggler. I will check out that group. Thanks.
    I am guessing it's the disc-brakes primarily (canti brakes are fairly obsolete at this point on that type of bike) and the more complex dropouts that it entails. @dkel has a Straggler and can't stop gushing about it. The purple color is really sweet, I will agree. The dropouts are pretty nice too. The Macho Man disc seems like another really strong alternative. There are myriads of threads with CX/commuter/do-everything recommendations here; that seems to be the only type of bike folks on this forum buy! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Once upon a time people looking for a relatively durable, but not too heavy drop bar frame went shopping for a "cyclocross bike", because the manufacturers need to put everything into a category and there is no approved category for "bike with enough clearance for fenders, and tires that aren't stupidly narrow, and I can put a rack on it, and it won't break if I ride it on normal roads and bang it around a little". Most of those bikes would never see a cyclocross course, but it was a somewhat more appropriate approved category than "road racing" or "mountain". Since they were influenced by actual cyclocross frames they tended to cling to stupid cyclocrossisms such as the UCI tire size limit, and most couldn't take more than about a 32 tire with fenders. Along came a new category, the "gravel racer". Its new innovation was that it could take bigger tires. Why they could invent a category for that and not a useful category like "bike with enough clearance for fenders, and tires that aren't stupidly narrow, and I can put a rack on it, and it won't break if I ride it on normal roads and bang it around a little" is beyond me, but indicative of the stupidity of the bike industry. So you're starting to see more of the kinds of bikes that normal people want to ride show up in the "gravel" category (while more bikes in the "cyclocross" category are getting specialized for cyclocross--carbon frames with no fenders, no racks, no water bottle bosses, etc). Everyone in the industry just ignores the fact that the "gravel racer" bike is no more likely to be raced than was the "cyclocross" bike. Denial is wonderful.

TLDR: take a look at the "gravel" bikes in addition to the "cyclocross" bikes, that's where the cools kids are going

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought these bikes are called "touring bikes." Perhaps, I am just old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    I thought these bikes are called "touring bikes." Perhaps, I am just old.
    A true touring bike tends to be a bit too heavy and low geared to be fun for commuting. There are lighter higher-geared bikes that are sometimes shoved into the "touring" category but I refuse to acknowledge them. There used to be a "sport touring" category, more like audax/randonneuring, but that isn't an approved category anymore.

Should I just hit the elite button on myself?

Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking for a commuting machine at low cost, Planet X and On-one make some pretty decent frames at very excellent prices: http://www.planet-x-usa.com/i/q/FRPX...ack-2-frameset

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Should I just hit the elite button on myself?
    I hit it for you.

Yeah, I'm really grateful for the gravel segment. Just like I'm grateful for the hipsters; I mean, I really *like* bacon and small-batch liquor -- and even my macbook pro at work.

I would just observe that the bike categories seems to delineate by the intended use of the bike, so while gravel does seem like a useless new category, it does match up with the demands of the newly-popular gravel racing. Unfortunately, there is no single understanding of what exactly a gravel road is which is why we see some "gravel" bikes being just road bikes that fit slightly larger tires and others (most) being more like CX bikes with clearance for 40+mm tires & fenders.

I guess an exception to that rule is the fat bike, which probably should be called a snow bike. But that would make it harder to market to people that don't need it -- like anyone living around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phatboing View Post
    If you're looking for a commuting machine at low cost, Planet X and On-one make some pretty decent frames at very excellent prices: http://www.planet-x-usa.com/i/q/FRPX...ack-2-frameset
    Wow, that's a nice price.

Also, if you're willing to go further afield, you could probably get a Titan or XACD ti frame for similar price as a Surly.

Or check this one out: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...166301510.html