Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Route Recommendations: EFC to Farragut

Post Thanks / Like

Question Route Recommendations: EFC to Farragut

Hi there! Moving to EFC at the end of the month and curious what other riders do around the key bridge. I know I can go down the steps to the water front and take that to L but I would prefer to stay on the road. That being said, M Street scares me - I feel like it will be packed with cabs and cars that don't know how to navigate bikers. Considered going up to N for a bit until Penn Ave and then L. Any tried and tested routes?

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

If Georgetown bothers you, try to take the TR bridge instead. From the Kennedy Center, just take New Hampshire to where you want to go. The TR has the advantage of putting you into the city east of Georgetown.

When I worked at 18th and M, I would come in on the TR, New Hampshire, and L. Outbound, I would take M and the Key Bridge.

(At other times, I would take 18th or 19th and cross at Memorial Bridge.)

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Before about 8-8:30am I take M Street through Georgetown (and take the lane); if I'm running later than that I take the TR bridge. The TR bridge has its own issues (narrow, bumps, plus the MVT wooden bridge is very slippery when damp/wet) but at least these factors are under your control (as in you can just ride slower/easier). Whereas taxis on M St are the worst.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I wrote a couple of years ago to the same question:

Quote Originally Posted by wewo View Post
    Hi All,

I am starting to commute to L Street and am looking for suggestions for a (relatively) safe connection between the Key Bridge and L Street NW. Sharing a lane with agressive BMW drivers on M Street and Pennsylvania Ave scares the dickens out of me.

Thanks!

Werner
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Okay, I'm sure you will think I am even crazier, but I commuted across Key to a final destination at 1310 L St. This was my route:

Key Bridge
    Whitehurst expressway. I know this seems crazy, but I think it's actually safer than M St. No intersections, good sightlines for the cars, downhill start to get speed, traffic often stopped anyway towards the end--so it's not like they are zooming by.

Then straight and UNDER Washington Circle. Also seems crazy, but if you wait just shy of the tunnel until the light on K turns red, then you get your very own, private tunnel to ride through. All by your lonesome. Nice. Here's where you wait ( in the faded triangle):http://goo.gl/maps/hRksN

Then at the next light (21st St) I would go left on the sidewalk one block to L (it's 1-way the wrong way, so you have to ride the sidewalk against traffic. Illegal in that part of the district, but what the hey.)

Then right on L and fly to my office. About 50% of the time I could hit every light green from 20th to 14th; sweet. Using this route I once made it from my house near 7 Corners in Arlington to 1310 L Street in under 22 minutes.
    Last edited by Steve O; 05-14-2015 at 02:28 PM.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve O is not as crazy as he seems (even after you meet him).

The Whitehurst only works eastbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Outbound I would take G Street to the Kennedy Center and the Roosevelt Bridge. Don't take the Whitehurst westbound. That actually IS crazy.
    Last edited by Steve O; 05-14-2015 at 02:31 PM. Reason: overlapping posts with Dismal

Post Thanks / Like

I'll only do Key Bridge through G-town if I'm in a group and even then (a) I'm terrified and (b) they usually drop me because I just don't feel safe going that fast through that kind of traffic. I hate every second of it.

TR Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zellerac View Post
    I feel like it will be packed with cabs and cars that don't know how to navigate bikers. Considered going up to N for a bit until Penn Ave and then L. Any tried and tested routes?
    The cabs, cars, and everything else are pretty good about navigating with bikers...I ride the route every day (well...when I'm not going on a longer ride) and even in the coldest weather this winter there was always another bike out on M.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

What about walking the bike through Cady's Alley (or slow-rolling through there) to 33rd St.? Then cross the pedestrian bridge. There's a ramp on the other side. I'm not sure if it's set up to allow you to roll a bike down conveniently or not. Maybe someone else knows the answer. If it's not too much of a problem, this would take you to Water Street. Then over to K Street, either on the sidewalk for a bit or on the service lanes.

I don't like riding in high-speed or hectic traffic either. I remember the downtown to Georgetown route being tricky, but I've made it there on CaBi without having to ride in fast traffic, I think. (I only ride there occasionally, so I don't recall all the details.)

If Washington Circle is too intimidating (which is understandable), you could take a slight detour. Turn south to H St and head east. It should be slower traffic. That will take you to Pennsylvania Ave., but at that point, you would be at 18th St., which is pretty close to Farragut Square.
    Last edited by PotomacCyclist; 05-14-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the return route, but in the mornings heading on east on M St off the Key Bridge isn't too bad. Then again, I only take it about two blocks until I can go up 33rd. Coming off the bridge's sidewalks you'll notice that M is 2 lanes and then splits to 3 right there at 34th I think it is. Either way, it's an easy opportunity to grab the right lane to hold as many cars don't move into it. The only issue you'll have is buses.

I'm not a big fan of M at night and have really only ridden it eastbound. Even that, the cabs comment is quite true.