Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: C&O towpath- Carderock to Gtown?

Post Thanks / Like

Default C&O towpath- Carderock to Gtown?

I did a bunch of google searching, but how are the conditions on the towpath from The large parking lot at Carderock to where it intersects the CCT? Would an older road bike with 27x1-1/4 tires pulling a trailer with a three year old cut it?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skins_brew View Post
    I did a bunch of google searching, but how are the conditions on the towpath from The large parking lot at Carderock to where it intersects the CCT? Would an older road bike with 27x1-1/4 tires pulling a trailer with a three year old cut it?
    That's a pretty easy section, I wouldn't sweat it.

Post Thanks / Like

The towpath is perfectly passable for anything with tires as wide or wider than, say 700x32. I've seen narrower on the path, but would not recommend. As for the trailer, it will be a somewhat bumpy ride, though not unbearable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    The towpath is perfectly passable for anything with tires as wide or wider than, say 700x32. I've seen narrower on the path, but would not recommend. As for the trailer, it will be a somewhat bumpy ride, though not unbearable.
    The trailer is a pretty nice chariot trailer, with adjustable suspension and tires that are certainly wider than 1-1/4 (not sure off the top of my head).

Another question- Will the trailer hog the entire towpath? Basically, will I be inconveniencing others? I don't want to be pulling this trailer down a single track or anything.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll be fine. You won't be going that fast, and you will see everyone way in advance. This stretch is not that busy. Keep an eye out for turtles sunning on logs in the canal or floating with their snouts barely visible above the water.