Likes Likes:  39
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: helmets, because science

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    Should car drivers be required to wear pedestrians? That might actually help.
    Some of them try to wear pedestrians on their cars. That usually doesn't go well.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

But if they are wearing a pedestrian, they might be inclined to drive much more slowly. Slow cars means less risk for everyone.

FYI - From earlier in the thread, "advisable" is not the same as "mandatory" and it wasn't intended to read as the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

"Wearing a pedestrian" is definitely not good for the pedestrian...

On helmets, from someone who has battle-tested them a couple of times, and is in his write-enough mind to right about it: *Highly* advisable and recommended, though the only place we can *mandate* it is for our children. A concussion is its own special Twilight Zone- but not a fun place to be. And the damage is *culmulative*. Some HOF NFL players have died, way too young, largely due to that cumulative brain damage. IndyCar driver & Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti had to retire for that reason. His doctors wanted him to remain a live hero, not a dead one. Lastly, a head injury can risk impairing a child's entire future life.

No guarantees, just reduced probability of injury. Improving the odds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    Should car drivers be required to wear pedestrians? That might actually help.
    I'm picturing this like those cow horns and wondering how that would help.

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. Someone needs to do a *better-run* study. "Something for everyone" doesn't cut it.
    Last edited by Starduster; 04-29-2015 at 06:25 PM.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I'm picturing this like those cow horns and wondering how that would help.
    Well, obviously it was a semi-joke, because the idea of a driver "wearing" a pedestrian is nonsensical.

But I was also hinting, maybe too subtly, that if a driver was that encumbered, he/she would finally realize that driving distracted is not advisable for anyone. People think they can drive safely while texting because it doesn't encumber them physically. We know it's dangerous and most people understand that it is dangerous in theory. But in practice, it's not a physically imposing act. The driver is holding a small and light smartphone.

But if they had a person sitting on them, that might be more of a clue that distracted driving is dangerous. Or if it was the driver's own child, he/she might be even more careful and not drive at all.

The concept is not that precise or logical. It was an off-hand remark. Nothing more, but the other stuff was sitting in the back of my mind when I posted it.

Post Thanks / Like

The pedestrian-as-cow-horn thing was also humorous. (And, unfortunately, more likely than that other stuff.)

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't die. https://rootchopper.wordpress.com/20...idnt-even-die/

I rode again today without a helmet. I'm still here.

My daughter was learning to ride and fell off her bike. She careened toward a storm drain. The helmet kept her head from going into the drain. At the speed she was going she might have gotten a boo boo. I crashed dozens of times when I was a kid. I am perfectly okay today. Really. I'm just a few spokes shy of a wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

I know there was a study about car drivers wearing helmet. Showed more lives would be saved each year if car drivers wore helmet than all motorcycle and bicycle riders killed each year.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen at least one study that said that riding in traffic without a helmet was more safe, because drivers gave more room to cyclists without helmets. I think there's just not enough data for know for sure one way or the other, so I've stopped judging others for whether they wear a helmet or not.