Likes Likes:  39
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: helmets, because science

Post Thanks / Like

Default helmets, because science

http://www.thewashcycle.com/2015/04/...heir-tune.html

Unfortunately, science doesn't have much impact on public policy or attitudes. It's not a magic safety beanie, and there's more to safe cycling than wearing a helmet. But that'll still be the only thing the press asks about.
    Last edited by mstone; 04-28-2015 at 06:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's what the press asks about - it's a standard checkbox question on police accident reporting forms. Journos want facts and the police forms spoon feed them that info.

Here's a NY form Google finds: http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv104c.pdf

No questions about debris on roadway (condition is either "paved" or "unpaved"). But they sure do look to see if there's a brain bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago one of my boys hit a curb hard. He was about 5 at the time. He pitched over the handlebars onto a concrete pad. If not for the helmet, and the fact he was wearing it correctly, the concrete would have sandpapered off his nose. You will understand that I still look back at that with horror at what might have been, and I have strong opinions on helmets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Years ago one of my boys hit a curb hard. He was about 5 at the time. He pitched over the handlebars onto a concrete pad. If not for the helmet, and the fact he was wearing it correctly, the concrete would have sandpapered off his nose. You will understand that I still look back at that with horror at what might have been, and I have strong opinions on helmets.
    A regular bike helmet isn't designed to prevent facial lacerations. If that's a concern, you should be wearing a full face helmet. Otherwise, that falls into the category of "got lucky".

Helmet anecdotes tend also to rely very heavily on certainty regarding events which didn't happen.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say that helmets are advisable for people on faster bikes (road and triathlon bikes) and for children, who may not have good coordination and bike handling skills. For other cases and situations, I think helmets are useful most of the time, but other elements play just as large a role in overall safety in those cases. For example, in the other thread, I described why I believe CaBi bikes are so safe, safer than other bikes. I don't think it's as important for an adult on a CaBi bike to wear a helmet as it is for that same adult to wear a helmet on a road bike.

On the other hand, teenaged boys can sometimes be risk-takers. I think it's best for them to be wearing helmets. (Maybe even indoors too, LOL.)
    Last edited by PotomacCyclist; 04-29-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Having the choice to wear a helmet is wonderful. Being required by law to wear one means fewer people ride bikes and we are all less safe.

Post Thanks / Like

More lives would be saved if car drivers and passengers wore helmets. And pedestrians.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    More lives would be saved if car drivers and passengers wore helmets. And pedestrians.
    I don't see how wearing a pedestrian is productive, but maybe it's my lack of imagination.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Should car drivers be required to wear pedestrians? That might actually help.