Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Traffic Light Timings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Was there a city-wide retiming? Virginia Ave near State has new light timing as well. And it sucks for my commute.
    Seems to be just about everything in the major commuter corridors in NW. My East Capitol timing didn't seem to change noticeably.

Post Thanks / Like

Made it from Columbia Heights to Thomas Circle without stopping this morning. Even made the light at I St.

Post Thanks / Like

Note to DDOT: Improve traffic flow for cars, and you will then just have to deal with more cars. If you want people to leave their cars at home, you should redo this and instead optimize for 15MPH traffic.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gibby View Post
    Anyone figured out how to catch the lights on Jefferson Dr SW? Seems the traffic light overlords have taken away the 7th St - 4th St morning adrenalin race..
    Long ago in 1998-2000, I rode Jefferson on my commute. It was possible to go 15th to 3rd all on the green. That was pre-Strava, and my speedometer had broken, but you had to truly fly--probably north of 25mph--to pull it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Going 15th to the Capitol Building yesterday evening on Penn Ave I got stopped at 14th, 13th, 12th, 10th, 9th, 7th, 4th, and 3rd. There were a lot of riders out and they weren't all making great time, but I'm not sure going faster would have made much of a difference. I'm not one to ever run reds, but this sure had me thinking about it.

This morning's inbound commute was a bit wonky since the Capital grounds were closed. So still TBD whether that's as big of a pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Westbound O NW sucks in the morning. From the light at 6th, spinning the longtail about as fast as I could go, I missed the light at 7th only to see 64 seconds come up on the walk timer. Maybe 10 cars went through the light in that time.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 83(b) View Post
    Going 15th to the Capitol Building yesterday evening on Penn Ave I got stopped at 14th, 13th, 12th, 10th, 9th, 7th, 4th, and 3rd. There were a lot of riders out and they weren't all making great time, but I'm not sure going faster would have made much of a difference. I'm not one to ever run reds, but this sure had me thinking about it.

This morning's inbound commute was a bit wonky since the Capital grounds were closed. So still TBD whether that's as big of a pain.
    When I used to do that commute (WH-Capitol), I realized that E Street would be a great alternative, but the light timing was actually worse. If the timing on PA now sucks, might be worth trying E St.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to try that!

Post Thanks / Like

PA Ave has gone from being very fast to very spastic. Near Capitol Hill I hit all the lights red. Then between 6th and 11th, it was fast. Then more block by block lights.

The green bikey arrow at 15th now is timed up to hit every red going up the Hill on 15th northbound toward the WH plaza. Of course, there's no traffic through to the bike lane, but there's a higher likelihood of confusion (go through the red or stop? do pedestrians have the right of way or not?).

This morning, 18th street northbound was like a freeway speed, which I'm sure the VA commuters love, but a pedestrian will probably get killed soon.

Last night, P street eastbound was way slower than it used to be at 7pm. Basically the N-S lights are now timed for super-long stretches and nobody on them, so the bikes just run the red.

This whole light cycle switch seems to be helping VA and MD single passenger car commuters at the expense of DC residents just trying to get across town?

Has anybody got a better commute out of this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    The green bikey arrow at 15th now is timed up to hit every red going up the Hill on 15th northbound toward the WH plaza. Of course, there's no traffic through to the bike lane, but there's a higher likelihood of confusion (go through the red or stop? do pedestrians have the right of way or not?).
    NB by Treasury - the signs on the pavement say yield to peds, not stop at lights. They made no effort to make the lights visible to NB cyclists. Therefore, I stop for pedestrians legally crossing in crosswalks with the light, and angrily ring my bell at jaywalkers, either in the crosswalk without the light, or outside the crosswalk.

The one improvement for me is that if I don't make the light at Archives on 7th NW SB, I don't miss a cycle crossing PA Ave. But I also have to stop for 10 seconds or so to cross Constitution, so I wouldn't call it better overall.