Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: I'm in the newspaper about cargo bikes

  1. #1
    jrenaut's Avatar
    jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    3,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I'm in the newspaper about cargo bikes

    In this morning's print edition of the NYT and online last night is an article about parents ditching cars for cargo bikes with quotes from me.

    So now I've been in the Washington Post and the New York Times this year. I just need a big West Coast paper for the trifecta.
    Last edited by jrenaut; 04-23-2015 at 08:05 AM.

  2. ELITE Rod Smith, consularrider ELITED this post
  3. #2
    jrenaut's Avatar
    jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    3,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Frustrating that the NYT decided to cut all the quotes from women in the article. I'm seeing this feedback a lot on Twitter, and it's totally justified. The author (a woman who bikes her kids to school on a Yuba Mundo) definitely talked to women and included quotes from them in the original submission, but none made it to the final.

    I'm very much against the idea that we always have to make sure to include a man and a woman and a minority and a this and a that, but the NYT can certainly do better than this.
    Last edited by jrenaut; 04-23-2015 at 10:38 AM.

  4. Likes Rod Smith, dasgeh liked this post
    ELITE Tania ELITED this post
  5. #3
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,998
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Frustrating that the NYT decided to cut all the quotes from women in the article. I'm seeing this feedback a lot on Twitter, and it's totally justified. The author (a woman who bikes her kids to school on a Yuba Mundo) definitely talked to women and included quotes from them in the original submission, but none made it to the final.

    I'm very much against the idea that we always have to make sure to include a man and a woman and a minority and a this and a that, but the NYT can certainly do better than this.
    That jumped out at me, too, especially since the numbers show that there are more women biking with kids than men. Anyway, way to go!

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Westover Beer Garden
    Posts
    2,479
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    BikeSnobNYC did a number on this article.
    http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2015...n-quiz_24.html

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    BikeSnobNYC did a number on this article.
    http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2015...n-quiz_24.html
    It would show me to be a completely humorless dork if I were to analyze the bikesnob piece in detail and show why, from an environmental POV, he is completely full of it? I guess it would. He is still full of it on this one though.


    Would it suffice to point out that a parent choosing a preschool near the parent's place of work may not be motivated by disdain for the options in Williamsburg?

  8. #6
    jrenaut's Avatar
    jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    3,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    BikeSnobNYC didn't have any problems with my paragraph. I win!

  9. Likes Rod Smith, 83(b), hozn liked this post
  10. #7
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,108
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think BSNYC is right to levy some criticism over anyone driving a Q5 and claiming to use the cargo bike for the environment. It feels like a mockery when you consider the millions, no billions, of people living with ecological footprints that are a tiny, tiny fraction of the size. Sell the car. Move into high-density housing. Stop eating meat. Etc. Etc. Then start feeling smug about running errands on the bike. Or run the errands on the bike because you like riding your bike but recognize that it does nothing to offset your disproportionately and unsustainably huge ecological footprint.

  11. Likes KLizotte, Rod Smith, mstone liked this post
  12. #8
    jrenaut's Avatar
    jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    3,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, that's definitely a fair criticism.

    For the record, despite having two children, we still drive my 2006 Mazda 3 when we DO drive, though we will occasionally rent something larger for trips and such. Also, my primary reason for the cargo bike is that it's more convenient than the car and contributes A LOT to my mental and physical health and well-being. The environmental benefits are just a bonus.

  13. Likes hozn liked this post
  14. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I think BSNYC is right to levy some criticism over anyone driving a Q5 and claiming to use the cargo bike for the environment. It feels like a mockery when you consider the millions, no billions, of people living with ecological footprints that are a tiny, tiny fraction of the size. Sell the car. Move into high-density housing. Stop eating meat. Etc. Etc. Then start feeling smug about running errands on the bike. Or run the errands on the bike because you like riding your bike but recognize that it does nothing to offset your disproportionately and unsustainably huge ecological footprint.

    If he bikes and thus drives the Q7 less, he is responsible for fewer GHGs than absent the cargo bike. Period. My household's car is a Honda Civic - I consider when I substitute the bike for driving that is a positive thing (and our car gets better gas mileage than the Audi, so actually I am avoiding less GHGs by not driving it) I live in high density housing, but we are not car free and do eat meat, though not a lot of red meat. That we have a larger carbon footprint than someone in Bangladesh is neither here nor there. The notion that people should not take steps to reduce their carbon footprint, unless they can make their carbon less than one percent of that of the average American, seems to me to serve no purpose whatsoever. It discourages people from taking the actions they could and would take. Actions which will contribute to reducing GHGs.

    By the way the gentleman in question lives in Berkeley. Odds are he does live in higher density housing than people of the same income living further out in the Bay Area. Depending on whether his work takes him mostly to SF, or to Silicon Valley, he may have a shorter weekday commute. And he may consume less red meat than the average American. And the quote from him, in full is this “We do all sorts of errands on the bike,” Mr. Hoverman said. “We try not to get in the car all weekend.” which does not sound smug to me.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 04-24-2015 at 02:14 PM.

  15. Likes Rod Smith liked this post
  16. #10
    vvill's Avatar
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    McLean, VA
    Posts
    2,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have to admit I had the same reaction when I first read the article (before seeing this BSNYC commentary).

    "My other bike is an Audi Q7."

    Not so much for the environmental footprint, but that it seems to imply you have to be a 38 year old "business strategy consultant" in Berkeley with an Audi to afford a cargo bike and/or make it practical to fit into your lifestyle.

  17. Likes Rod Smith, hozn liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •