Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Capital Bikeshare Locations opposed by Bluemont Civic Association - vote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kolohe View Post
    The only two stations annotated in the Bluemont neighborhood on the bikeshare expansion map are the two stations they oppose.
    Well, yeah, they aren't going to oppose (or support, or otherwise comment on) stations that aren't in their neighborhood.

Their stated reason to oppose the stations are
    1) because of the single family nature of the neighborhood - which is all of Bluemont. (except for the slice on the east side of George Mason - which already has a bikeshare station - two if you count the one up by the old Blue Goose).
    No, the "close proximity" to homes, not just the general nature of the neighborhood.

2) because of roads with 'heavy residential traffic' - with traffic calming devices! - which again, is all of bluemont.
    No, it's not. Harrison is a major thoroughfare, despite being narrow, because it has a bridge over I-66 and connects to Lee Highway. It's a legitimate concern, especially at that particular spot.

3) because it would destroy our precious greenspace on the Bluemont trail.
    As I mentioned above in another comment, before CaBi, protecting the greenspace and supporting cycling were the same thing.

So, no bikeshare near single family detached, no bikeshare near roads, no bikeshare near trails.
    They didn't say that either. They were referring to those particular locations.

Clearly, they don't want bikeshare, despite their "oh, but we SO wanted it in our conservation plan".
    I should tell you now that I helped write that original plan as a resident of the neighborhood who has lived directly on the Bluemont Trail for 20 years and who uses Harrison Street frequently. I wasn't at the meeting where these resolutions were adopted, I haven't been active in BCA in a long time, and I don't always agree with what BCA does lately (the Safeway thing was pretty pathetic), but I am very familiar with the exact locations involved, and I can assure you that, while everyone is different, it's quite possible they are not simply rooted in flat-out opposition to Bikeshare. At least you didn't try to defend that racism comment though.

I think you should take the time to listen to neighborhood concerns when advocated bike infrastructure instead of dismissing them, let alone trying to assign motives to them you can't possibly know. You'll get better results.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this is troubling, especially the references to SFHs. Don't they realize that they're getting basically free loaner bikes for their guests, which all the sudden makes it possible for their guests to easily bike up/over to Metro/Ballston/Westover/all the fun stuff that will get their guests off of their couches and out of their hair.

We heard some grumbling in Cherrydale at first, too, but everyone's pretty happy about it now.

3. Likes kwarkentien, 83(b) liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    We heard some grumbling in Cherrydale at first, too, but everyone's pretty happy about it now.
    Pretty sure this has consistently been the way it goes. Announcement -> the sky is falling -> oh wait this is kind of nice.

5. Likes Steve O, PotomacCyclist, 83(b), dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"The Bluemont Civic Association (BCA) welcomes the interest expressed by Capital Bikeshare and Arlington County in locating additional Bikeshare stations within Bluemont and notes that Bluemont residents recently supported such an expansion in its Neighborhood Conservation Plan."

Come on, guys. It's possible to both support BikeShare in general yet oppose a specific location for a station.

DismalScientist is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Why doesn't anyone propose moving the Harrison St. station to the cul-de-sac on Frederick on the Custis trail?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    No, it's not. Harrison is a major thoroughfare, despite being narrow, because it has a bridge over I-66 and connects to Lee Highway. It's a legitimate concern, especially at that particular spot.
    Harrison is a great connection for cycling -- it's an alternative to George Mason and not TOO hilly. We take it ALL THE TIME to get to the Lee Harrison shops. Yes, we see cars speed, and cars roll through stop signs. But you know what I see more often? Speeding cars slow down when they see us on a bike. Cars come to a complete and full stop and wait longer than they have to for us to go by. Having people on bikes in your neighborhood is a great traffic calming measure in and of itself.

Honestly, I get that CaBi doesn't always get the initial locations right. I can understand if there's a better location than what's been proposed. The problem is these resolutions don't leave logic solutions open. If they really worry about Harrison St, why not just on Fairfax, but at the same corner? Why not something that says "please don't put the stations in the middle of greenspace, but put them at the end of a dead-end street" -- presumably that's what CaBi would want to do to allow rebalancing, and presumably the neighborhood still wants CaBi to put down new concrete to preserve parking/the ability to turn around at the dead ends.

These locations smack of NIMBYism. Hopefully, someone has alerted the neighboring businesses to how the neighborhood is trying to screw them.

9. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Why doesn't anyone propose moving the Harrison St. station to the cul-de-sac on Frederick on the Custis trail?

Personally, I'd want it on Harrison because it's a better bike connection both north and south.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking that too. On the other hand, the Westover Park locastion makes more sense to me because it's a destination.

I'll certainly try to remember to make it to the next BCA meeting.

DismalScientist is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought they wanted to serve St. Ann's. Frederick and Harrison are equally good substitutes. I don't get the north/south connection argument. There aren't CaBi stations to the north or south. And then there is the difficulty of crossing Washington Blvd at Harrison. And also that god-awful hill going northbound on Harrison.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought they wanted to serve St. Ann's. Frederick and Harrison are equally good substitutes. I don't get the north/south connection argument. There aren't CaBi stations to the north or south. And then there is the difficulty of crossing Washington Blvd at Harrison. And also that god-awful hill going northbound on Harrison.
    There will be CaBi at Lee/Harrison IIRC. There's no southern connection from Frederick, so all of the CaBi stations south of I66 (and west-ish of this location) are better served by Harrison.