Likes Likes:  1,144
Dislikes Dislikes:  13
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 5 of 132 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Relax guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Trail, trail, trail, trail, trail, trail. I guess I hadn't noticed until this thread exactly how trail riding centric so many of the list regulars are. Not meant as a put down just needing a shift in my frame of reference. I am perhaps more in line with Mr. eBike man ( the OP ) in that my riding and thus frame of reference is riding on city streets and e-bikes in that environment, chugging up long asphalt hills on a dense urban commute seem perfectly sensible. I'd never buy one simply because I'd hate to have to pedal all that extra weight around when I'm not going up those hills but I'm only 60. Give me ten years and I might see it differently. the argument that some people will be irresponsible if given powerful tools is fallacious from the start however. The list of things that can be misused in the wrong hands stretch back to fire and the wheel. No need to ban electric bikes because the occasional jerk rides too fast on a multi user trail. Just be glad you get to commute on an MUT instead of elbow to fender with a lane of black Lincoln Navigators with tinted windows and the odd metro bus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillStewart View Post
    You are simply attempting to deflect an examination of your assertion
    No, I simply have no use for you and as a result will not expend the effort necessary to appease your request. Have a nice day.
    Last edited by CCrew; 07-10-2011 at 12:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    No, I simply have no use for you and as a result will not expend the effort necessary to appease your request. Have a nice day.
    In the same light, we have no use for your groundless assertions. Keep on rolling

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a handful of people riding e-bikes on the W&OD over the past few years. None were going so fast that I couldn't pass them though.

I look at it as a positive. If it helps get more people out on bikes, using them for errands and commuting, thats a win for the cycling community at large because it increases demand for bike lanes, paths, gets drivers used to seeing more bikes, etc. I'd much rather see someone commuting to work on an e-bike than in a car.

I do think that there are going to be issues in the future with MUPs (like the W&OD) as the e-bikes get cheaper and faster... most paths are not designed for traffic maintaining 30+mph.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillStewart View Post
    In the same light, we have no use for your groundless assertions. Keep on rolling
    Note to self. Do not feed the trolls. Just for you Will (link)
    Last edited by CCrew; 07-10-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    No need to ban electric bikes because the occasional jerk rides too fast on a multi user trail.
    It's funny you mention that. There are some folks on road bikes on the MUTs going faster than most ebikes top out at...

I prefer the cargo bike for MUTs for several reasons, but one that applies here is that it slows me down to a more friendly pace. Or at least, a less unfriendly pace.

Were I MUT commuter, however, travel time might be/seem more important than friendliness.

Brendan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    Note to self. Do not feed the trolls. Just for you Will (link)
    Physician, heal thyself...
    Last edited by WillStewart; 07-10-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighth View Post
    I'm okay with someone like Dirt cruising along the trail at 20+ mph because he's competent. You generally don't have the ability to hit and hold higher speeds unless you've spent a good bit of time in the saddle and have, consequently, developed a skill level commensurate with your strength and endurance. I think it's also fairly safe to assume a certain level of commitment to cycling and good cycling practices/manners when you are spending that kind of time on it.

That's simply not the case with e-bikes.
    This is an excellent summary of the situation (similar to what others have discussed).

On one hand, allowing ebikes officially could boost bike commuting tremendously, getting many people out of their cars and adding them to the voices advocating for continuing to improve bike networks and facilities.

On the other hand, out-of-control spoiled teens could run down small children and/or a number of other undesirable outcomes. Perhaps a minimum age (e.g. 17? 18?) or an ebike pass might be the way to approach this, similar to other motorized transportation. Liability on a trail is potentially another tricky aspect this issue.

Virginia law states that ebikes are allowed on bike lanes, though does not list them among the activities that are allowed on shared use paths:
    http://www.virginiadot.org/programs/...ted%20Bicycles

- A bike lane is defined as that portion of a roadway designated by signs and/or pavement markings for the preferential use of bicycles, electric power-assisted bicycles, and mopeds.

- A shared use path is defined as a bikeway that is physically separated from motorized vehicular traffic by an open space or barrier and is located either within the highway right-of-way or within a separate right-of way. Shared use paths may also be used by pedestrians, skaters, users of wheel chair conveyances, joggers, and other nonmotorized users. (note: no mention of electric power-assisted bicycles allowed)

So any change to the W&OD policy might require a change to the Code of Virginia.
    Last edited by WillStewart; 07-11-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Minimum age discussion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    Trail, trail, trail, trail, trail, trail. I guess I hadn't noticed until this thread exactly how trail riding centric so many of the list regulars are. Not meant as a put down just needing a shift in my frame of reference.
    A lot in this area are very trail-centric. Like you, I don't think that's a bad thing. As someone who doesn't drive, I find I use the trails a lot during the week and kinda avoid them on the weekend.

My comments on e-bikes was limited to the trails because that's the only place that I've encountered them. On the streets I think they'd basically behave and be treated in two ways: 1) like a bicycle if they're traveling at bicycle-esque speeds; or B) like a scooter if they're traveling at scooter-esque speeds.

On the trail I see no issues related specifically to e-bikes.... more to how they are used. At normal bicycle speeds, they are fine. I have concerns with them when they get going fast... those concerns are the same as cyclists going fast in congested areas.