Likes Likes:  1,107
Dislikes Dislikes:  11
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 117 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1274

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

I expect this would need the Virginia cycling federation and WABA to advocate for changing state law before Arlington will change the County Code.

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that most people assume that an e-bike performs like a motorized bicycle with an internal combustion engine (moped). It seems clear that the legacy prohibition of "motorized" bikes on the MVT, for example, had internal combustion engines in mind. No one that rides a consumer e-bike could reasonably come away with the impression that it is similar in performance to a moped, but if you've never ridden one, it's difficult to understand the qualitative difference between the two.

I'd love to meet up with someone from Arlington DES and let them ride my RadCity a bit. The difference would be made clear.

3. Likes Dewey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm rather annoyed by the stubbornness of so many people to educate themselves about ebikes.... If folks would simply take the time to test ride one at any of the many local shops that sell them then they'll immediately see that ebikes aren't the big scary monsters they're made out to be.

I routinely travel faster on my regular road bikes than I do on my pedal assist ebike. The ebike simply allows me to get up the hills from DC back home to Arlington with the child trailer in tow in a more reasonable time period. (25min. vs. 1hr)

5. Likes buschwacker, Dewey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamilkb View Post
    I'm rather annoyed by the stubbornness of so many people to educate themselves about ebikes.... If folks would simply take the time to test ride one at any of the many local shops that sell them then they'll immediately see that ebikes aren't the big scary monsters they're made out to be.
    The counterpoint to this is the homebrew e-bikes that sometimes are encountered on MUPs around here. I've seen a couple that must have been doing 30mph. I commute every day on an e-bike and consider 30mph unsafe for any vehicle on a MUP, motorized or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buschwacker View Post
    The counterpoint to this is the homebrew e-bikes that sometimes are encountered on MUPs around here. I've seen a couple that must have been doing 30mph. I commute every day on an e-bike and consider 30mph unsafe for any vehicle on a MUP, motorized or not.
    Agree...although i've only encountered that once..and it was a scooter not a bike. But def. see the counterpoint.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buschwacker View Post
    I've found that most people assume that an e-bike performs like a motorized bicycle with an internal combustion engine (moped). It seems clear that the legacy prohibition of "motorized" bikes on the MVT, for example, had internal combustion engines in mind. No one that rides a consumer e-bike could reasonably come away with the impression that it is similar in performance to a moped, but if you've never ridden one, it's difficult to understand the qualitative difference between the two.

I'd love to meet up with someone from Arlington DES and let them ride my RadCity a bit. The difference would be made clear.
    And I hear "you're basically riding a motorcycle on the trail" quite often. My motorcycle has 85 horsepower (63000 Watts), weighs 450 pounds, and will do about 120mph. My Radwagon has 750 watts, weighs 70 pounds, and is limited to 20mph. This sort of hyperbole, of course, seems to mainly come from people who've never actually ridden a regular e-bike.

9. Likes Dewey, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Of course, I also think that cycling is such a rich activity and e-bikes only open up a tiny percentage of this, that I can't help but feeling that someone is really missing out (on the group rides, the racing, the off-road riding) if that's their only bike.
    I don't go on group rides precisely because I can't keep up. So for me, an e-bike would be the one way I could do them. As for off-road riding and racing, that's out of the question in any event.

I have thought about getting an e-bike for commuting. Right now, I bike in most days, but typically take Metro most of the way home. I had to give up biking home because that takes me two hours, as opposed to one hour when taking Metro most of the way. (Home to Bethesda is mostly uphill.) An e-bike could potentially solve that problem. But right now, e-bikes are banned on the CCT. And the idea of biking on the roads after dark makes me nervous, what with the drivers who think they own the road.

11. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    I don't go on group rides precisely because I can't keep up. So for me, an e-bike would be the one way I could do them. As for off-road riding and racing, that's out of the question in any event.

I have thought about getting an e-bike for commuting. Right now, I bike in most days, but typically take Metro most of the way home. I had to give up biking home because that takes me two hours, as opposed to one hour when taking Metro most of the way. (Home to Bethesda is mostly uphill.) An e-bike could potentially solve that problem. But right now, e-bikes are banned on the CCT. And the idea of biking on the roads after dark makes me nervous, what with the drivers who think they own the road.

We need to ride together sometime (during Freezing Saddles?) I can barely keep up on group rides, and would be happy to go slower. (note I am not saying that you shouldn't get an ebike)

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect we have different definitions of "group ride". I meant the ones where everyone is in lycra hammering up the hill or sprinting to the the city-limit signs. E-bikes are not welcome on those rides and I'd imagine that won't change; the focus is on the athletics of cycling.

Obviously, e-bikes offer some very practical value, but even though the majority of the miles I put on a bike (commuting) I could do an an e-bike (ignoring the legality of using it on the W&OD), the part of cycling that I really love are all things that I can't do on an e-bike (those lycra group rides, the racing, the mountain biking). So, my comment was just meant to convey the feeling that cycling has so many facets and an e-bike really only addresses a few of them. Nothing wrong with that, especially if it's a good gateway drug to "real" cycling.

14. Likes buschwacker liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

But right now, e-bikes are banned on the CCT. And the idea of biking on the roads after dark makes me nervous, what with the drivers who think they own the road.
    "A friend I know" commutes on an e-bike on the CCT multiple times a week and has even passed MPD officers on the trail. If you're a stickler for the rules, I get it, but DC's e-bike laws are absurd.

Obviously the law and order crowd will take issue with this, but to them I'd say "how would you like me to commute from DC to Virginia on my e-bike and NOT violate the law?" I can either a)take the lane on Key Bridge, then take the lane out on Lee Hwy and add like 7 miles to my commute, or b)ride out Canal Road and take the lane on Chain Bridge. Yeah, sorry no.
    Last edited by TwoWheelsDC; 11-29-2018 at 12:53 PM.

16. Likes buschwacker, Dewey liked this post