Likes Likes:  1,107
Dislikes Dislikes:  11
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 127 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1274

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    One kit I am eyeing is this one, but I don't know the minimum wattage needed. It's $300 and the battery is nearly $400 extra.
    That's a large heavy 48v direct drive motor with a 30a controller, with users reporting speeds up to 30mph. Given your desire to ride legally and remain at trail speeds I'd suggest their cheaper ($235) lighter 36v geared hub motor with the 22a controller, it will easily perform at 15-20mph and help you up hills, their 36v 11.6ah bottle battery is $280. For the pros and cons of dd vs geared see their blog post.
    Last edited by Dewey; 08-15-2019 at 12:47 PM.

2. Likes ChristoB50, buschwacker, dasgeh liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    I think the OneMotor friction drive was supposed to fill this niche but it's expensive for such a small battery.
    This is one I've seen in the wild: https://www.geoo.com/

In my 2 second interaction with the rider, she said she really liked it. But yeah, not cheap.

4. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your help. I might go with the 36V/500W version. I also learned that front assist with a powerful motor is a bad idea, because the fork is not designed to be pulled in manual bikes. The motor twists it if high torque was applied. There have been reports of mostly aluminum forks breaking, and causing broken bones, but I have steel front suspension, and the kit comes with this part to reduce stress on the fork, so I might go with the front after all. I don't need a full time EBike, just for some trips.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your help. I might go with the 36V/500W version. I also learned that front assist with a powerful motor is a bad idea, because the fork is not designed to be pulled in manual bikes. The motor twists it if high torque was applied. There have been reports of mostly aluminum forks breaking, and causing broken bones, but I have steel front suspension, and the kit comes with this part to reduce stress on the fork, so I might go with the front after all. I don't need a full time EBike, just for some trips.
    When you do a conversion kit, do you also have to change out your tires to e-bike rated tires?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    When you do a conversion kit, do you also have to change out your tires to e-bike rated tires?
    Not that I know of.

Also, I found this web page which has a simulator that tells you how fast would you go up a hill giving motor watts and hill grade.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    E-bike rated tires are built to withstand greater forces, and will last longer. For everyone. If you convert, you can stick with your old tires, but when those go, I recommend upgrading to really bomb-proof tires. But I recommend bomb-proof tires to everyone riding for transportation anyways. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't need a full time EBike, just for some trips.
    I have an electron wheel collecting dust in my closet. I used it a couple of times, but decided that electric bikes take out of all the fun of riding a bike. I can sell it if interested.

11. Likes buschwacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Harley-Davidson showed images of prototype ebikes at their Annual Dealers Meeting this week. No details as yet but what we can see are fairly standard high end (>$4,000) ebike features, mid-drive, enviolo cvp hub, belt drive, even a step-through. No details on what motor/battery they are using or if the system is designed/built by Harley. Compared with competitors these Harley's look closer to the lighter Yamaha Power Assist Bicycles than the heavier long range Fuell ebike from Erik Buell, like the Yamaha's (except the YDX-Torc eMTB model) the ebikes in the released images don't have a suspension fork, might this indicate that like the Yamaha's they will be Class 1 (20mph) rather than Class 3 (28mph)? Hopefully they copy Yamaha's 3-year transferrable warranty, gas Harley motorcycles have a 2-year transferrable warranty, this is still rare for ebikes but would promote used and trade-in value.
    Last edited by Dewey; 08-22-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interior Secretary David Bernhardt signs order directing access for electric bicycles on federal lands including the National Park System, National Wildlife Refuge System, lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management, and lands managed by the Bureau of Reclamation.

https://images.singletracks.com/blog...bike_order.pdf

https://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-c....tsrc=newsroom

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...e04_story.html

National Park Service responds by permitting Class 1-3 ebikes on trails, obey same trail speed limits as pedal bicycles, but no throttle riding
    https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/ebikepolicy.htm
    Last edited by Dewey; 08-30-2019 at 09:02 PM.

14. Likes ChristoB50, buschwacker, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for the e-bike experts: my friends have a bike trailer for their 22-month-old twins. But the twins are getting bigger and the hills in Ithaca aren't getting any flatter, so they're thinking of getting an e-bike for kid-hauling duties. Is there an e-bike out there that would fit both of them (she's about 5'4", he's about 5'9") and that would work for pulling a bike trailer? Or should they get a longtail e-bike instead, and if so, which one would you recommend?