Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Default LEED Electric Bike Conversion Kits

I saw a bike fitted with one of these on the W&OD last night. https://www.e-bikerig.com/ I think I read that the company started in 2015 as a Kickstarter project. Has anyone else seen these?

Spoke to the rider at the light at Gallows (aka the Great Equalizer). At first I was confused, because I didn't recognize it as an e-bike. All I saw on the back wheel was an internal hub, and the larger hub in the front could just be a generator. I hadn't noticed the battery pack on the small front rack. I thought maybe his speed (about equal to mine) was do to the extra sparkly fenders.

Low-end kits are around $500, and the high-end kits are just over $1k.
    Last edited by DanB; 04-27-2017 at 01:51 PM. Reason: added title

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Has anyone else seen these?
    [Pun shield up] More power to him...no really he needs more power, the 24v LEED hub motors are similar to the 24v Clean Republic hill topper I tried last year for a week before returning it, got me(220lb) up to 15mph on the flat but could not pull me up hills, also it was a pain having to hold down the power button. To be fair Clean Republic and LEED both sell a 36v version, offer domestic shipping, and customer service, but for similar cost I'd suggest a BBS type bottom bracket mounted mid-drive motor with a cadence sensor pedal assist will climb most of the hills around here more efficiently, or if you wanted a cheap plug and play option a 48v geared front hub kit and battery can be had for $500 (plus international shipping) from some of the Chinese kit suppliers on the ebikes sub-reddit wiki (if you do this please fit a torque arm).
    Last edited by Dewey; 05-01-2017 at 12:29 PM.

3. Likes DanB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There have been heated debates about whether they are allowed on the CCT. Suffice it to say that it's not totally clear. I'm not generally bothered by them as long as they are conscientious. It's when they do things like fail to signal passes that the greater average speed makes them especially dangerous. That being said, I'd say that the rate of ebikers who call passes is greater than the rate of non ebikers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    There have been heated debates about whether they are allowed...
    I do sometimes feel e-bikes are the Rodney Dangerfield of the cycling community when it comes to safety legislation, take for instance the recent welcome change to DC Code repealing contributory negligence concerning fault in bicycle-car collisions and fairness to crash victims - there was no mention of "motorized bicycles" as an exception to the motor vehicle definition so that must mean e-bike cyclists remain subject to the unfair contributory negligence provision that is exploited by drivers lawyers. Then there is the DC DoT interpreting in the strictest sense the DC motor vehicle regulation prohibiting motorized bicycles from "bike routes" to mean e-bikes should not use protected bike lanes - why shouldn't e-bikes be allowed in DC protected bike lanes when we are allowed to ride on PBL's (and on sidewalks) in Virginia and Maryland? Why is the Park Service not listening to WABA advocating for on-street bike lanes on Memorial Bridge when at present there is no safe way for cyclists to cross the Potomac bridges except on sidewalks/paths, and even if the cash were found to build bike lanes the anti-ebike DCMR regulation would still not allow us to use them because DC's remit extends all the way to the Virginia bank of the Potomac? These things need to change to provide safety for e-bike cyclists on the roads if the local jurisdictions want to encourage us off the sidewalks/paths/PBL's.
    Last edited by Dewey; 05-01-2017 at 03:50 PM.