Likes Likes:  921
Dislikes Dislikes:  11
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 99 of 116 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Neat about ebike rental in Old Town.
    Yes, I also appreciate they'll be selling the ex-rentals with a 1 year warranty on the battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    I thought I'd share, I first came across adult kick scooters using bicycle components when driving through Lancaster County Pennsylvania where the Amish use them.
    E-scooters were just in the Washington Post. Apparently some parts of California are having issues with them.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    E-scooters were just in the Washington Post. Apparently some parts of California are having issues with them.
    Not just e-scooters.... dockless e-scooters. Southern California is doomed!

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The other day, as I was walking across M Street SE at 4th to get my LimeBike, some dude on a JumpBike was heading northbound, and ran up the curb cut and scooted (really scooted - not the fastest a Jump bike can go, but really fast for a sidewalk) north on the sidewalk (4th is one way SB above M) . Raises some Jump specific questions (no, I haven't yet listened to the piece on Jump). CaBi gets lots of clueless and overly cautious riders who over rely on sidewalks, but since they can't go very fast, its more an annoyance than anything else. If inexperienced riders (or ones new to urban riding) can suddenly go 20MPH, but are scared to ride in the street (or for whatever reason won't seek out a route that gets around a one way street) how do we deal with more fast riders on sidewalks? (there was no ped I saw on that sidewalk that day, but I still think going fast on a sidewalk in a dense urban area is asking for trouble).

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    I expect this sort of thing to get worse, since people purchasing e-bikes are often doing so for speed, and the technology is getting better and cheaper which allows higher speeds at lower costs.

Which is the core of why the whole "class rating" for legalistic reasons is utterly pointless. Manufacturers can call anything "class whatever" and claim its limited, and then have a "wink wink offroad use only" setting that disables the limiter and allows people to go as fast as they want.
    Couldn't those settings be banned on bikes sold as of particular classes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Couldn't those settings be banned on bikes sold as of particular classes?
    sure. the licensing & registration regime can pay for the inspections and enforcement.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say let's give eBikes 5 or 10 years of unregulated use before we start thinking about banning this and banning that. Let's get as many people out there pedaling something as possible. There are a couple slightly more important issues I'd prefer my legislators and civil servants spend their time on than how many watts your bicycle has.

That said, there's a dude that passes me northbound through ye olde towne Alexandria early in the mornings on an eBike. He hauls ass and doesn't even break cadence for the 4 way stops (huge ballz). Where is he in such a rush to get to you ask? Crossfit Oldtown! Yeah, getting huge and ripped after a solid warm up on the eBike. This gave me a brilliant idea this morning. Ever have trouble lifting those heavy weights at the gym? I know, they're f*&%ing heavy right. "eWeights" my new line of "eWeight Machines" will be coming to kickstarter soon. I am going to help people lift those huge ass weights with eAssist technology. You'll get the same great workout as weight lifting, but the added assist will allow you to push some really huge weights. If the kickstarter is successful I hope to branch out into other areas like the ePushUp and ePullUp machines. Imagine doing 100's of reps instead of struggling through 25?
    Last edited by anomad; 02-14-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Not just e-scooters.... dockless e-scooters. Southern California is doomed!
    Oh god. Limebike just launched dockless e-scooters. . I can't tell if they plan to launch in DC though...The website is a bit confusing.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Oh god. Limebike just launched dockless e-scooters. . I can't tell if they plan to launch in DC though...The website is a bit confusing.
    They launched e-bikes recently too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I'd say let's give eBikes 5 or 10 years of unregulated use before we start thinking about banning this and banning that. Let's get as many people out there pedaling something as possible. There are a couple slightly more important issues I'd prefer my legislators and civil servants spend their time on than how many watts your bicycle has.

I am not sure I agree. I used to be in the "lets not touch this issue, it will stir needless controversy" camp (see above). But I have begun to shift. A. Current laws limit ebikes in ways that are problematic to law abiding ebike users - currently for example there is no legal way to ride them across the Potomac from NoVa to or from DC. B. As more the fleet expands, as retailers carry more of them, etc, I think establishing rules can shape the culture. In particular I like the California law which establishes classes - and which hopefully will encourage people to choose ebikes with the rules of where their use is legal in mind (if you want to ride trails, you need to get a class 1, if you want to ride without the various restrictions placed on motorcycles, etc you need Class 3 or below, etc)