Likes Likes:  1,107
Dislikes Dislikes:  11
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 128 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128
Results 1,271 to 1,273 of 1273

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    Question for the e-bike experts ... Is there an e-bike out there that would fit both of them (she's about 5'4", he's about 5'9") and that would work for pulling a bike trailer? Or should they get a longtail e-bike instead, and if so, which one would you recommend?
    A great resource for reviews and a pretty vast forum: https://electricbikereview.com/forum/

2. Likes komorebi liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for the e-bike experts: my friends have a bike trailer for their 22-month-old twins. But the twins are getting bigger and the hills in Ithaca aren't getting any flatter, so they're thinking of getting an e-bike for kid-hauling duties. Is there an e-bike out there that would fit both of them (she's about 5'4", he's about 5'9") and that would work for pulling a bike trailer? Or should they get a longtail e-bike instead, and if so, which one would you recommend?
    Yes, there are lots of ebikes that will fit someone 5'4" & someone 5'9" and would pull a bike trailer. I would highly recommend buying local if they can, because they'll be able to get service when they need it.

But I would also recommend a long tail. 2 kids aren't going to fit in a trailer much past 2 years old. (And I'm generally not a fan of trailers in the city). Long tails are great. If they can buy local, that's ideal. They want a smaller rear wheel as the kids get older, because having weight near the ground is better (though I didn't mind so much until the kids were 5+).

It's possible they could get a normal-tail ebike now and use it with the trailer. Then when the kids outgrow the trailer, buy a long tail - by then, the kids will be happy on the back of the longtail without seats (depends on the kid, but 3-4 seems standard) and one parent gets to use the normal-tail ebike.

4. Likes komorebi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for the e-bike experts: my friends have a bike trailer for their 22-month-old twins. But the twins are getting bigger and the hills in Ithaca aren't getting any flatter, so they're thinking of getting an e-bike for kid-hauling duties. Is there an e-bike out there that would fit both of them (she's about 5'4", he's about 5'9") and that would work for pulling a bike trailer? Or should they get a longtail e-bike instead, and if so, which one would you recommend?
    Most any electric bike can tow a trailer, but New York State law currently does not permit ebikes, and the governor is not willing to sign the ebike legislation that passed the NY State Assembly this year, the exception is the recent regulatory change by the National Park Service who now permit ebikes where bicycles are permitted to ride on National Park land, so your friends should get local advice before proceeding to buy an ebike.

That being said in Ithaca Cayuga ski & cyclery look like they have a nice selection including the Giant LaFree and Civia Parkway step through's, available in a small frame size, which are Class 1 ebikes with mid-drive pedal-assist motors. For a longtail, if they can wait until November Yuba is replacing their Mundo Classic with a new Kombi model with smaller 24" wheels which ought to retail for a grand from REI, Yuba offer a ton of child-carrying add-ons. A shop in Ithaca called Boxy Bikes could convert it with a mid-drive kit with a throttle.

Otherwise ChristoB50 is right, check out some suggestions and ask questions on the EBR forum, or a family biking forum.
    Last edited by Dewey; 09-05-2019 at 11:16 AM.

6. Likes komorebi liked this post