Page 79 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Also, there's a confusing discussion on these last 2 pages about a speed limit on trails -- I fully support having reasonable speed limits on trails for all users (ideally context dependent).
    A 25mph (contextual) speed limit on any MUP in this area would only affect Class-3 e-bikers. MAMILs would remain unharmed. Snotty racers ride on the roads anyhow.

Go for it! Bring on the enforcement!

2. Likes Vicegrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The truth about safety on E-bikes is that the real measurable risk is to the E-rider far more so than those around them. The E-bike Rider is the person at heightened risk and it is showing up in stats already. E-bikes riders seem to have more wrecks per mile than H-bikes. They also tend to be used by older riders. This makes for a bad combo.
    An E-bike rider can become Cat-1 level rider in avg speed with the flick of a switch. They likely did not get there with cat-1 levels training and road riding experience, they got there with a credit card. We can dither and thin slice the numbers all we want but the actual impact of E-bikes will become evident in time. We humans will not do much of anything until something happens that catches the public eye. Then it will be "How did this happen?!"

4. Likes huskerdont, Harry Meatmotor, Tania liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    -- apologies if they have already been mentioned in this ludicrously long thread.
    ftfy

6. Likes secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    ftfy
    Time to vote, then?

8. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to vote, then?
    Wait - what about the People For Bikes 10 myths about e-bikes blog post from Monday, or did I miss that? I always like the "Myth/Fact" approach to debates that are really "Opinion/Different Opinion"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Wait - what about the People For Bikes 10 myths about e-bikes blog post from Monday, or did I miss that? I always like the "Myth/Fact" approach to debates that are really "Opinion/Different Opinion"
    I didn't realize the bike industry was putting out talking points on e-bikes, but of course they are!

MYTH: E-bike riders will go further into remote areas and won’t be able to pedal out if their batteries die.

Heh. This conjures visions of dozens of e-bikers, starving and out of water, roaming the streets of Woodbridge, growing increasingly ragged and desperate by the day.
    Last edited by secstate; 11-01-2017 at 04:20 PM.

11. Likes Dewey, huskerdont, Judd liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    After reading it a few times, I'm not sure I fully understand this paragraph;
    [...]
    I want streets that are safe for people -- e.g. my kids -- to ride at 12mph.
    Fair enough. I wasn't talking about the street, I was talking about the trail. My point is that if you only let ebikes capped at 15mph on the trails, and you expect lots of new people to ride ebikes, then, given the reality of our region (i.e. that you have to ride on trails to get into DC), you'd expect people to buy these capped ebikes. But if they're ebikes are capped, then they're more likely to stay on the trails, making our trails more crowded. That may be fine for your 12yo, but I want the trails to be safe for my 7yo, so I'd like a world where the trails aren't too full. Seems like you can achieve both with a speed limit on the trails, then routes that are more attractive for those who ride fast (and yes, ebikes) to get that volume voluntarily off the trail.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize the bike industry was putting out talking points on e-bikes, but of course they are!

MYTH: E-bike riders will go further into remote areas and won’t be able to pedal out if their batteries die.

Heh. This conjures visions of dozens of e-bikers, starving and out of water, roaming the streets of Woodbridge, growing increasingly ragged and desperate by the day.
    As the "fact" says - that is a lesson you learn the hard way.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    When was the last time you actually drove this at rush hour? Lee is absolutely PACKED from Military/Glebe-ish to 495 which is about where I bail for home. The speed limit is 30 until you're past Falls Church and around the Pancake House (Graham) where it ups to 40. I drive this section many, many times a week.
    I ride Lee (or the Custis) daily to essentially Quincy/Military. Not sure the last time I've driven it. That's why I said ROSSLYN/COURTHOUSE. You can easily get back on the trail at Lyon Village to bypass the mess between Cherrydale and Glebe.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I still haven't heard a reasonable argument why you would want to ban an ebike that is able to go 25mph on the flat but not a strong rider who can go 25mph on the flat.
    You have, you just haven't acknowledged it or really responded to it. Again: the number of people who can ride at 25MPH on the trails is significantly lower than the potential number of people who could ebike at 25MPH on the trails. The current trails can't handle that many people riding 25MPH. Also, those who do so for recreational reasons tend to specifically avoid the trails for high-speed riding. Yes, there are people who currently ride too fast on the trails, and they are conspicuous exactly because they are rare. Please, explain how the trails function for pedestrians or slow riders/children when (in some bright future for the ebike manufacturers) the majority of cyclists have vehicles that are limited by battery power rather than muscle power.

16. Likes huskerdont, Harry Meatmotor liked this post