Page 73 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure all of those strava max speeds are correct. I know my trike slows me down at 20 mph yet if you look on my strava rides they have my speeds way up there on my downhills, there is no way I went over 30 mph on my trike I would have had a heart attack, I am very fearful of downhill. and on the MVT I would be bounced off the trike if I went to fast. when I saw the above post I looked at my strava rides and some of those speeds are funny. I do have Beauregard to ride down on the way home and get some good speed on it, but it isn't because of the e assist. It is all gravity same with going down national harbor in the mornings. It is the uphill where I get my advantage, I can go up national harbor hill at 13 mph without e assist it was more like 4 mph.

2. Likes Dewey liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	15635
    I know plenty of roadies that have rides where 22.4mph is their 75 percentile

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I know plenty of roadies who have rides where 22.4mph is their 75 percentile
    Really? Plenty? On their commute? Show me one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    You wouldn't know them. Gillian met them all in Canada, at Niagra Falls.

https://youtu.be/NZwXN5OgikA?t=9s

6. ELITE sjclaeys ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejwillis62 View Post
    I am not sure all of those strava max speeds are correct..
    My experience is that my phone augments the satellite gps signals with location info from wifi hot spots and the slight variations results in occasional spikes in speed evened out by slower speeds before and after compared to my wheel based speedometer. I also notice it tends to think I'm moving even when my wheels are stopped as the gps osscillates at a stop. End result is that I trust distance but not velocity from Strava and average speed is typically slower than my cycle analyst readout if I have stops along the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    They go so fast that we do not see them on the MUPs.

9. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday an ebiker passed me at a remarkably fast speed (with no warning). It was quite a speed differential, but he wasn't on Strava so I can't verify my perception of it being roughly twice mine. I suppose that *could* have happened with a roadie, but in my experience, that's uncommon. When passed by a roadie, the speeds are usually comparable. For me, it's just that if you're going 15 to 18, you don't expect someone to pass you like you're doing a track stand. I shudder to think of what would have happened a couple of minutes later if it had been the ebiker instead of me when a woman walked her dog right across the trail in front of me without looking.

The problem here is that people exercise poor judgment no matter what form of transportation they use, and this form enables more dangerous behavior to be accomplished more easily. I still don't favor a ban, but at some point, these new machines need to be addressed by legislation/rules, and I do hope WABA or someone will attempt to provide educational opportunities. The general public will not differentiate between ebikes and regular bikes when an ebike kills a pedestrian; they will simply blame all cyclists.

11. Likes hozn, sjclaeys, bentbike33 liked this post
    ELITE Tania ELITED this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    The general public will not differentiate between ebikes and regular bikes when an ebike kills a pedestrian; they will simply blame all cyclists.
    I'm not sure I understand...cyclists on regular bikes kill pedestrians every once-in-a-while, so is it really useful to try and make the distinction?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I'm not sure I understand...cyclists on regular bikes kill pedestrians every once-in-a-while, so is it really useful to try and make the distinction?
    But less often because of slower speeds, generally lower weight, and the fact that to go that fast as a cyclist (except downhill, of course), you generally learn how to ride better as you build up to it. You may feel differently, and that's fine, but I don't look forward to hearing comments about, for example, how all cyclists need to have licenses just because incidences of pedestrian/cyclist crashes go up because of increased ebike usage. I would prefer not to be lumped in with that, although it will happen.

(Note that I'm not talking about people like ejwillis62 or dasgeh here; I realize they are responsible and need the e-assist. I'm more talking about the gearcrusher and solarscootercar types. Any reasonable regulation would not affect the former while addressing the latter.)

14. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    The pedestrian killed by a cyclist this past March was the first time that this happened in the DC area since 2012. It is also only the 9th such incident since 1905. You have an interesting definition of "every once-in-a-while". BTW, here's the source for my info: http://www.thewashcycle.com/2017/03/...njuriess-.html