Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

One might argue that being fit and fast is a result of riding a lot and is therefore correlated with better bike handling skills (but not necessarily common sense).

2. Likes Harry Meatmotor, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    The rider having the sense to not do stupid stuff on the trail is also important.
    So, is the "sense to not do stupid stuff on the trail" part of the "skills"?

The ability to ride a bike fast does not depend on bike handling skills.
    ?????

"only people in very good physical shape should be allowed on vehicles that can obtain high speeds (on flats/uphills) on trails", which is ridiculous.
    People that don't have good bike handling skills while riding at 28mph present a higher risk for all trail users if they're piloting a Class 2 or Class 3 e-bike. I'm arguing for safer trails.

Why is a Class 1 e-bike not fast enough?

Why should my little sister and her 3 year old son feel safer on a 14 foot-wide MUT where a 300lb* cargo bike can travel at 28mph with no pedal input?

Why does SolarBikeCar cause so much angst here? Dasgeh, do you agree that he should be allowed on the trail, too?

Let's go back to one of my original posts on this topic:

The 2 folks I see regularly on the trail (illegally) riding 750W+ throttle e-bikes wear full-face moto helmets. Why?

* just so we're clear on the math for the sticklers here: 180lb rider + 80lb cargo bike + 40lb batteries/motor
    Last edited by Harry Meatmotor; 08-11-2017 at 07:03 AM.

4. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I admit, I get annoyed whenever someone passes me going up hill without any clear effort and I am pedaling hard. That person is always on an e-bike. I see e-bikes all over ridden by both generally reasonable people and the jerks. Same with regular bikes. I understand the concern folks have with the fairly inexperienced rider being able to go really fast (how many teenagers would you want in a Ferrari or Lamborghini riding the local roads? Or with diminished reflexes, like many elderly (and they do accidentally run over people in Farmers Markets and the like)?). However, I see the overwhelming concern on this thread of people of all the jerks (for want of a better term) on the trails.

Barring law enforcement on the trails, keeping e-bikes off will be hard, keeping people going a safe speed for the conditions will be hard, and even getting people to call their passes as stated in the "rules" posted at occasional entrances to trails will be hard. However, I think the latter along with the general improvement on the trails may be possible. But we, the trail using community, need to be pushing it. I am sure the runners and walkers aren't happy with the crowded trails either. Do we find a way to work with them to come up with trail etiquette (and I use that term rather than rules. Rules are for officials to enforce. Etiquette is for the population to enforce, perhaps via twitter or facebook or just telling someone it is uncool. No one wants to be uncool) that we somehow get bicycle and sports stores to post and hand out with each new bike and new pair of running or walking shoes? Do we use it to encourage all the different clubs and groups that use the trails - including the local schools that set their runners training on the trails and races that use the trails (some are well organized, some are not at all)?

Anyway, I keep thinking there is something the community can do about the lack of "coolness" (for want of a better phrase) aside from a few of us talking about it on these pages.

Post Thanks / Like

In fact, the only thing lame here is the implication in this statement (and others on this thread) that only fit and unburdened people should be equipped with the ability to bike fast on trails.
    Okay cool so at least we can all agree that fit and unburdened people using pedal assist on flats are lame af!

CONSENSUS! Woohoo!

7. Likes ShawnoftheDread, Emm, hozn liked this post
    ELITE dasgeh, rcannon100, Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    * just so we're clear on the math for the sticklers here: 180lb rider + 80lb cargo bike + 40lb batteries/motor
    That's only 300 pounds.... your previous use of "+" after "300" invalidates all of your arguments.

9. Likes dbb, hozn, dasgeh, Harry Meatmotor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    We definitely need to keep economists off bike trails, especially if they are going to point out how bell curves work and insist on riding recliners with wheels attached to them. That's probably dangerous. A recumbent bike can easily reach 30 miles per hour on the Custis Trail while their rider is taking a nap.
    I would like to point out that dbb is an engineer dammit, not an economist. Also, I have never fallen asleep while riding the Custis, not with all the weird shite that wedgie riders pull for which I have to watch out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please be aware

Everybody should be aware that we need to say what needs to be said regarding e-bikes by 5 Nov 2017 (shift off daylight savings time), at which time we will shift to the regularly scheduled debate about bike lights on the trails that are too bright/annoyingly flashy/poorly aimed/not used.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Everybody should be aware that we need to say what needs to be said regarding e-bikes by 5 Nov 2017 (shift off daylight savings time), at which time we will shift to the regularly scheduled debate about bike lights on the trails that are too bright/annoyingly flashy/poorly aimed/not used.

Thank you.
    I for one am glad that all debates about bike lights will quickly be replaced about an endless debate of the Freezing Saddles rules before we use the exact same rules again.
    Last edited by Judd; 08-14-2017 at 08:23 AM.

13. Likes Sunyata, hozn, drevil, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    ...not with all the weird shite that wedgie riders pull for which I have to watch out.

Cross ups! ::shakes fist at the sky::

15. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Subby - I thought I told you that making jokes is not allowed on this forum.
    What about being a joke on the forum? Asking for a friend.

17. Likes rcannon100, Steve O, Judd liked this post